• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weight loss?

drbobxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm not sure its this can be answered:

does the XJ weight more in the front or rear or equal?

Why I ask is that I have already moved the gas tank half way above the rear floor and now thinking of moving it more to the center(right behind front seats) would this put too much weight on the front? I would like to make it as equal from front to rear as I can and low the center of the weight.
Here is a pic of my jeep as it is now.
normal_IMG_7662.jpg

also going to put dual batterys in the back somewhere.. is there anything else that can be moved to make the weight equal and lower?

We throw commercial batteries in the trunk of our drag cars to even the wieght up a LOT. You could try that. Unless you have to have dual Optimas like everyone else. But a large industrial battery will have as much if not more CCA's and you can get them to run a 24-volt system if you have an upgraded alt. Try SAM'S or an 18-wheeler store.

drbobxj said:
Ok, I'm not sure its this can be answered:

does the XJ weight more in the front or rear or equal?

Why I ask is that I have already moved the gas tank half way above the rear floor and now thinking of moving it more to the center(right behind front seats) would this put too much weight on the front? I would like to make it as equal from front to rear as I can and low the center of the weight.

also going to put dual batterys in the back somewhere.. is there anything else that can be moved to make the weight equal and lower?

It's heavier in the front because of the motor, so anything that can be moved from the front to the rear will work to better equalize the weight front to rear. Moving the battery from the front to the rear would help equalize the weight, but moving the gas tank further forward would not. If you're interested in how weight distribution could help climbing ability, a case can be made for moving weight to the front to have better weight distribution when the nose is pointing in the air. Many of the competition rigs put water in the front tires for this reason. It all depends on what you're after.

If overall lighter weight is a goal, forget the second battery. Unless you're going to run a really big stereo for really long periods with the motor off there's no need for two batteries.

lose the doors lol. i removed all 4 doors off my 4 door and i bet i lost 200 or more pounds. i sit with my nose down at this point since i chopped the rear quaters off and roof. i moved my gas tank up into the cab directly over the rear axle.

yeah I was thinkin the front was alot heavier then the rear. ok I will keep the gas tank in the sameplace. I remove the front doors in the summer time or when its hot out.. yeah they weight about 50lb each. I don't even have the stock dash in so no big radio or any tunes at all. no AC or heat almost everything under the hood is gone but what is needed to pass smog :)

also thinking of moving the rad to the rear somehow.. never seen it done in a XJ before...

trying to make this thing as light as I can.. my 33x9.5 are about 15lb less then most 33x12. need to weight the whole jeep someday.

You should also try moving the rear axle rearward as much as possible. But this wouldnt be an easy task unless you are going to change the axle or springs anyways. Also the other guys are right about not needing an extra battery or an extremely larg one unless you are going to use it. But if you plan on adding a winch or already have one you should go ahead with the duels. It'll save on your alternator in the long run. And you could try a lighter weight front bumper. Maybe a rock crawler style made from some DOM tubing.

GoliathJeeper said:
You should also try moving the rear axle rearward as much as possible. But this wouldnt be an easy task unless you are going to change the axle or springs anyways. Also the other guys are right about not needing an extra battery or an extremely larg one unless you are going to use it. But if you plan on adding a winch or already have one you should go ahead with the duels. It'll save on your alternator in the long run. And you could try a lighter weight front bumper. Maybe a rock crawler style made from some DOM tubing.

yeah moving the rear axle would help, but I don't want to put anything bigger then 33 tires and I all ready hit my t case. maybe move the engine back a bit??
going to lower the transfer case an inch or so, with a skid.
yeah right now, dont have a front bumper, but will be tube and no which..
Also have lots of lights(6) so will need dual batterys.

drbobxj said:
yeah moving the rear axle would help, but I don't want to put anything bigger then 33 tires and I all ready hit my t case. maybe move the engine back a bit??
going to lower the transfer case an inch or so, with a skid.
yeah right now, dont have a front bumper, but will be tube and no which..
Also have lots of lights(6) so will need dual batterys.

Yea it will help if you are running that many lights to have duals. But as far as moving the engine back. I wouldn't bothe with it unless you are already going to have it out. its more work than you think. I moved an engine back about 6-8 inches in a dodge coronet and it made a heck of a lot more difference in weight on the front tires than I thought it would. (about 100 pounds or so) but in an xj you will probably have to cut up the firewall but from the way your jeep looks it seems you dont have a problem with that lol. And if you do do it that would be a good time to move back the t-case and drop it down a bit.

Why did this get moved to Mod tech?

didn't think it was a bolt question?
I don't really care just asking. so I know next time what goes where. :D

Back