• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Comanche Metric Ton for sale

Cnickgo

Do you need assistance?
I didn't think this day would come so soon, but I'm going to sell the MJ. It's been a fun truck but now that I have the F350 it's time to focus on the Rocket and the MJ must go. The truck has 300K miles, motor and trans are supposed to have around 90k. The truck is in Chattanooga with Rock Solid Fab

The basics:
1988 MJ Metric Ton Longbed 4wd
Renix 4.0L
D30/D44 stock 3.07 gears
BA-10
6.5" Rough Country Long Arm front, SOA rear
33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTRs, about 5000 miles on the tires

The cool stuff:
-Fiberglass camper shell, flat black Plastidip paint with Thule Rack
-Rock sliders adapted from 4dr Wrangler. They could use some reinforcement mounts added.
-New Carpet
-Aftermarket center console with lots of storage and 4 cupholders
-Solid shifter surround that isn't broken!
-Woodgrain dash
-Full gauges including Tachometer
-Pioneer Headunit with bluetooth and usb port, Pioneer speakers in the doors and 6x9s in separate boxes behind the seats.
-Replacement Euramtec interior lights
-2dr XJ folder bucket seats
-Fitchbox style relay box with 4 rocker switches in stock dash locations. Has 5 relays and an 8(?) spot fuse block for low amp accessories. Relays are all available. I have LED lights for the camper shell and the CB wired through the fuse block.
-Realistic CB mounted above rear view mirror. Firestik antenna currently mounted to front bumper but needs to be moved as the SWR is currently too high.
-Bumper mounted hitch, supposed to be good for 3000 lbs. I have only towed jetskis with it.

Work done:
-Entire cooling system replaced.
-Grounds refreshed.
-New battery.
-Serpentine Belt
-Clutch kit and internal slave cylinder replaced at the crawl last year.
-Most every sensor was replaced when I purchased the truck.
-Dash grounding strap added.
-Driver side front axle shaft replaced with larger u-joint shaft. Passenger side is still the smaller joint as I was waiting to regear to eliminate the vacuum disconnect.
-Brakes are relatively new, plenty of life on rotors and pads.
-I'll add to the list as I think of more.

The Bad:
-The PO had questionable skills and decision making. I've spent a lot of time correcting some sketchy "improvements".
-Driver door striker has be rewelded with a poorly aligned plate. This causes the door to not align correctly at the top creating a gap which allows water to enter the cab and wet the drivers seat and driver floorpan.
-Part of the driver floorpan has been cutout and replaced with scrap metal and sheetmetal screws. It's ugly.
-Because of the driver door and driver floor pan, there is rust on the cab supports and frame.
-Body is not pretty. Someone gave it the Bondo treatment, especially noticeable on the passenger fender. Rockers are dented as it was wheeled at URE without sliders. Paint and body looks good from afar, but far from good. It is at least complete and uncut.
-Renix eletrical gremlins. I've done a lot of work here, especially when I bought the truck. I've run through the standard Renix refreshers several times. The IAC is currently unplugged as before it would have a high idle at almost 3k rpms. Without the IAC you need to open the throttle just slightly when starting cold, but I haven't had any other side effects. Sometimes when using the turn signals, it causes the truck to miss. I've been chasing this issue with ground refreshing and the dash grounding strap. I've attempted to clean the C101 connector, I suspect it is the culprit and I think it would highly benefit from eliminating the C101 all together. Also I suggest checking and cleaning connections at the ECU.
-The temperature control cable for the HVAC is not connected. The blower fan is missing a mounting bolt.
-I broke the connection of the speedometer cable at the gauge. It still connects enough that it functions, but the needle bounces.
-The crossmember mount is ghetto-fab. The mounting plates for the crossmember were welded in the wrong spot because of the MJ cab supports. Then the PO added an aluminum plate adapter for the trans mount. It works for the current suspension, but changing to anything else is going to require some re-engineering.
-Rear hatch on the camper shell needs work with the latch. Currently does not close all the way. Struts rarely hold the glass up, I use a vise grip to hold it open (free with the truck!). Mesh needs replacement on both side windows of the camper shell.
-Tailgate is beat and bent. Latch connection to the driver side won't stay connected to the handle. I currently use a screwdriver to pop the driver's side latch to lower the tailgate. You may have more patience than I did to fix it, but it's better just to find an entire replacement.

I've tried to list everything I can think of. I'm sure there is more I have forgotten. Going to ask $3000 for NAXJA people and friends with the 33 MTRs. If you would rather a set of 6 36x12.50x15 TSLs we can negotiate a lower price. Open to reasonable offers. The sale is going to fund work on the Rocket. The truck would be great as a second vehicle for yardwork or start a trail rig. With the camper shell and long bed it would also be a good candidate for an expedition style project. The Metric Ton package is great, I regularly hauled bed loads of firewood well above any other midsized truck capabilities, as well as hauled one jetski in the bed and another in tow. Title is clean and in hand. I'm open to reasonable offers from NAXJA folks. Pictures coming from my phone shortly.

24602de58b9b13b7f4b942b4cd653835.jpg
fa1e8387ae15bc28afd6abd4ccee809b.jpg
17e68f990ec8a6a0e5a077829ea1e733.jpg
5d455aa08e39816d473fc1880650421b.jpg
2c8ddb942a90b29a70890b581f2dff80.jpg

Noooooooooooooooo, farewell hot mess!

get with me.
I texted the number I had for you, but not sure if it's still working. Last message was October!

I have interest in the camper shell, and I may have a buyer for the truck.

Getting tired of the Craigslist crazies and realizing I just want it gone at this point. $2000 you bring wheels/tires?

$1500 with your wheels and tires, or else its going to be a pull it yourself part out, or however best suits Tyler. This truck isn't doing anyone any good sitting there killing grass yall. I need it gone so I can get Tyler started on the XJ.

$1500 with your wheels and tires, or else its going to be a pull it yourself part out, or however best suits Tyler. This truck isn't doing anyone any good sitting there killing grass yall. I need it gone so I can get Tyler started on the XJ.

UGH! Really...... Now you would have to post it at that price.......

still for sale?

OK part out time. Go pick and pull at Rock Solid in Chattanooga TN. Not shipping anything right now unless you convince Tyler.

Right now I'm keeping the long arms, crossmember, radio components, and relay box/switches.
Notable items available:
D44, 3.07 gears SOA-$300
Metric ton leaf pack-$150
Camper shell with Thule rack-$200
Taillights-$30 each
2 dr XJ seats- $100 for both
Newer carpet- $40
All dash components and interior plastics including wood grain dash insert- Ask
Aftermarket center console- $25
Good non busted shifter surround -$25
Euramtec stock style interior led lights- $10
Renix 4.0 (supposedly rebuilt with 100k), has the unobtainable A/C delete pulley- $150
BA-10 is free if you want it
21 spline np231- $75
Driveshafts- $25 per
Disco D30 3.07 gears, drivers side has larger u joint axleshaft- $150
Front 6.5" Rough Country lift components-- springs, track bar, shocks- $150
Pedal assemblies, foot parking brake- whats it worth to you?
I can sell either the 33x12.50 MT/Rs from the MJ or 6 of the 36x12.50 TSL radials form the XJ.

Whatever else you can think of just ask and I'll let you know if its worth having. If a price is unreasonable, talk to me.

Wow I want that 44... But I think its a bit far so I'm gnna stick with an 8.8 w/ 4.10s

Wish these were over in Monterey... You're like 40 minutes from my hometown in SC. I would swoop those front lift components.. Might be worth the drive from Jax FL. What arms? Assuming they're included?

Wow I want that 44... But I think its a bit far so I'm gnna stick with an 8.8 w/ 4.10s

Wish these were over in Monterey... You're like 40 minutes from my hometown in SC. I would swoop those front lift components.. Might be worth the drive from Jax FL. What arms? Assuming they're included?

I wish everything was in Monterey as well but alas I'm not allowed a normal lifestyle yet.

It would pretty much be most of the front end of Rough Country 6.5"short arm kit. I'm going to reuse the long arms, track bar drop bracket, and brake lines on my XJ.

Coils
Shocks
Track bar (the one from the short arm kit, not the drop bracket with the long arm)
Drop pitman arm
4 short control arms

Sway bar discos extra $40

I might take the whole thing if you want. PM me. Interested for sure.

Truck is back up for the craigslist crazies at $1500, grab it before it leaves the family.

Back