• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carnage report.....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
This is what I know of right now. I think I will find more when I start looking in the daylight. Front header on passenger side is crushed. Same side inner fender is wrinkled. Passenger door is fubar'd! Passenger rock rail is missing on grade 8 bolt and the other three are stretched. Rock rail moves up and down about 4 inches. rocker under is recessed. Passenger rear glass is scratched? How do you drag glass along a rock and just scratch it? both rear taillight mounting positions are recessed. Driver D pillar is crushed. Rear hatch and glass it destroyed. Driver door does not shut all the way. B pillars are cracking really bad. Door striker is loose from cracks in the metal it is mounting to. Driver side rear glass is shattered. There are dents everywhere. Track bar bracket is half off. The lower bolts were ripped out and the frame there is bent bad. It was an awesome time!!!! :conceited

Sam slung a u-joint cap on the access road and the trackbar bushing is fubared on the axle side, i dont count the little bit of body lovin it got .... still backed it off the trailer, put air in the tires and drove it to mcdonalds ;)

2 axle shafts
finished off the header panel and lights.
lost my PS cap.
more dents, but those are all running together so it doesn't count.
and the muffler fell off loading it into the truck.

welcome to the ugly Glenn, now you can beat it like you don't care.

I'm pretty sure I need a new radiator now and I bent a sway bar mount somehow.

Mine is pretty minimal compared to some...

1. Lost a shock bushing on day one....clunk, clunk, clunk
2. Busted my drivers mirror on the Upper Rock Garden on day 2
3. Got home last night after a scary ride home. Wouldn't track straight for anything. Found out I lost the top bolt on my RE drivers side swaybar disconnect, and lost the cotter pin holding the passengers side in. Must have made most of the drive home with the sway bar just flopping and the drivers side link bouncing around.

also slung a cap off a u-joint on the way back to camp
pushed in the driver front fender going down budd's bypass
trans on the tow rig
bank account

Idler pully froze up as soon as we reached the top of the trailhead on Friday. My boys Flexd and 87manche had the part and installed it in record time.

Lost my fuel pump on the way home from the Crawl in Harriman, TN. We changed it in the gas station parking lot after Mark went to get the pump and a gas can to drain the level down so we didn't spill fuel everywhere. It was a real ordeal since my dented tank had bent the original sending unit so tweaking an $80 unit to make it fit sucked but still cheaper than a tow truck or having somebody pick me up.

Mark stuck with me and said we could get it done. I don't know what I would do without a great friend like him.

I broke and lost both tail lights and door mirrors, yukon stub shaft, crushed the hatch (but its still connected), leaking gear oil and ps fluid, somthing is wrong with my kick down cable, rear driveshaft is I need of a rebuild and that's all I know about right now.

Dang Ed! Glad you and Mark were able to get it back on the road again.

I've got to re-tighten everything in the front end. Lots of pops going over bumps and making turns now (probably the stupid track bar...again).

Also need to take another stab at replacing some seals. Might see if I can sweet talk Glenn into getting it into his shop and get a hand on working on it sometime in the future. I don't like looking behind me on a hill climb through the mountains at interstate speeds and seeing a cloud of oil smoke behind me....nor do I like having to stop on the side of the road once over the mountain to let it rest so it'll stop blowing oil out.

Crawl11037.jpg

Crawl11039.jpg

Crawl11040.jpg

Crawl11041.jpg

Crawl11042.jpg

Crawl11043.jpg

Crawl11044.jpg

Crawl11045.jpg

Crawl11046.jpg

Forgot to mention the chevy cooked the tranny fluid on the way home..... nothin a bottle of Lucas couldn't fix. It's actually due for its service about 200 miles from now so I'm not really surprised

Sheared the bolts from the front TC yoke to the front driveshaft, popped the TC linkage loose. Melted a relay for the fan and a vacuum line. Exhaust is pushed up against the floor. Killed the CB antenna. 12v plug in the cab fell apart on the way home. Alignment is knocked out of whack, I have death wobble again.

Everything was little, I'm glad to be home in one piece.

It was a great trip. I had little damage which is a good thing since it had a 6 hour drive home.

1) Johnny Joint came apart.
2) TNT long arm cross member bent up into the tranny pan.
3) Lots of loving on both driveshafts.
4) Rear main took a dump on the way home.
5) Pine sap all over the top of the pop-up.
6) Rear driver lower quarter got a head start on the cut and fold.
7) Sunburn on my left arm...

-twisted and snapped longside ALLOY axle shaft at locker, and sheared off ALLOY stubshaft in the hub... and the 760 spicer joint survived!!! (and that all happened at the same time! one loud Ping!)
-new dents/scratches on drivers side doors
-seperated passenger floorboard from "framerail" via bogger forcing rock through wheel well and out the top! (pics to come)
-dented rear hatch, it rubs when open/closing, not straight now either
-need to check tightness of front suspension
-need to buff paint on rear quarter where some dumb blonde wrote her name in the mud on the side of my jeep... #$)*!@
-rockers/bumpers could use some fresh paint... they got heavily used!

...otherwise, not too bad. Jeep performed well, did all i wanted it to, other then when the shafts broke! lol...

i see a hack and tubed rear xj for glenn in his future!
lol

Most embarassing carnage for me was a pair of shorts I ripped out from the crotch thru the leg. I mean they were set up for full air conditioning if you know what i mean. Someone said it looked like I was wearing a kilt.

Most embarassing carnage for me was a pair of shorts I ripped out from the crotch thru the leg. I mean they were set up for full air conditioning if you know what i mean. Someone said it looked like I was wearing a kilt.

Why be imbarASSed, I think it would be awesome to wheel in a Kilt, I will add this to my list of things to do next year. If you are lucky I will wear underwear.

Back