• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting from Power Steering to Manual Steering 86 XJ

ventureforth

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wondering what's involved in converting a 1986 XJ with power steering over to manual steering. What parts are needed, where is the best place to find them, and how difficult is it to do?

Sorry if it's a noob question. I did some searching and couldn't quite find an answer simple enough for me to be sure I was getting it.

Thanks.

Just buy a manual box either new or used, and swap it right in....all other parts are the same... except youll need to replace your PS pump with an idler pulley assy... this would be best found used. I did this swap the other way around from manual to power... no big deal!

whats the benefit? I am considering swapping in a YJ box to get the constant ratio. Is it just that the power steering gear is worn out?

I know that the 85 XJ was available with non power steering. That is how my rig came.

Um... ya sure you don't have that backwards there?
Why are you converting to manual?

maybe he has arms like a gorilla. or maybe he wants to get arms like a gorilla. yeah this swap doesn't make alot of sense.

Alot of drag cars dont use power steering so to not over correct on the track... At faster speeds the steering becomes really touchy. Maybe he's going to drag his xj?

Alot of drag cars dont use power steering so to not over correct on the track... At faster speeds the steering becomes really touchy. Maybe he's going to drag his xj?

I've dragged my XJ--out of mud holes.

Back