• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear shackle mount relocation??? Rear Flex?

BigWhiteXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. I have a RE 4.5 leaf spring in the back with the RE i think 1.75 shackle. Prolem is (also seems everyone on here with a cherokee) that the shackle angle is vertical, not 35-45 deg. backward. From what I have heard is that this ideal for leaf spring setup. Now I have read everywhere about spring break-in and torquing the shackle bolts while its loaded with weight, this is not the problem........
My question is what is everyone doing about this? From what I have found is some people are relocating the shackle mount down 2" and forward about 2" or so and has worked really well. Or is anyone running a longer leaf spring to achieve the correct angle. Who has done what and how is it working?

I moved mine and use a fairly long shackle. With this setup I was able to build a fairly flat leaft pack and new ~4" of lift. Downtravel is crazy, uptravel is limited by bumpstops. Sorry about the pic quality, my flash makes everything look 4x as rusty as it really is.

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture005-2.jpg

xjjeeper19 said:
Is that a stock shackle welded up in there?
Oh hell no haha. It's a shackle relocation bracket from an unknown application, it was part of a VERY bizarre double shacle setup that was on this thing when I bought it. I need to get up in there and fully plate the whole deal, just shot some paint on it to keep the rust off until then.

thanks for the pics hillbilly. I know everyone out the says the re 4.5 springs are stiff. I think thats BS because my friend runs the same packs on his landcruiser and flexs great. I am convinced it is just a shackle problem with xj's. I dont expect the rear to flex 50/50 with the front coils but 70/30 would be nice. Because this 90/10 doesnt work.

Thanks for all the great replies

how old are your leaves? my re 4.5 leaves didn't break in until i wheeled it 2 weekends. it sat high and rode like crap, then it flattened out and is great now.

I relocated mine to run longer F-150 leaves. I made the mounts from some plate that is bolted to the frame rails and welded in. The mount itself is just 2X3 tube cut open and welded. The extra plate hanging out there will tie into a cage and my rear bumper/crossmember at some point.

This method greatly increases the range of shackle travel over the stock mount. I haven't noticed any negative side effects, on or off road.

I used the F-150 shackles, (they are backwards in the first pic, just a test fit)
DSCF1072.jpg

Shackle angle
DSCF1776.jpg

Flex is good! (sorry about the blurr!)
DSCF1843.jpg

DSCF1838.jpg

I have ran this setup for over a year now with no problems. Because they hang down, I have hit them a good bit coming off rocks, but it's never done any damage or hung me up.

Last edited:
I did some searching and I really like all of the ideas that have been presented... however has anyone made these for production yet? and perferrably 90% bolt in?

I really like the setup that "gearwhine" fabbed:

He states later on that he stitch welded his setup in the thread. These don't seem that bad to make but... im not much of a welder but I am
trying to learn :p

Only difference is, I don't want to run a YJ/CJ style shackle. I have a set of MJ's sitting in my basement that I want to install so the mount design would be slightly different...

Last edited:
XJRunner said:
I have a set of doestche Ranger long travel shackles I'm gonna try to make fit in my cherokee.
I'm running Camburg Ranger shackles. They fit real nice.

Back