• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom rear bumper/ rear shackle mounts relocated

JLane99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i'm running redrilled MJ leaves with the rear axle about 1" back from stock, so needless to say the factory shackle mounts were about as much use as tits on a boar hog.. and i needed a new rear bumper/tire carrier (to come later)

514361_42_full.jpg

1st i cut out the rear facing sheet metal between the 4 bolt mounts for the original rear bumper, part of mine was already trashed due to the tire carrier i had fabbed previously was pulling the nut strips through the sheet metal on the passenger side.

cutting this sheet metal away allowed me access the inside of the "frame-rails" it measured approximately 2-1/4" x 4-1/4" PERFECT for that i had some 2x4x1/8" tubing to use

for starters to make mounts for the bumper i cut 2 pieces of the 2x4 about 12" long,
514361_41_full.jpg

on the passenger side i had to deal with the PITA factory nut strip for hitch mounting, but after that little fight i worked both pieces into the insides of the "frame-rails" and marked the depth at which i planned for them to seat into the frame, on the drivers side the fuel filler neck permits about 7" from the rear sheet metal, so that as a baseline i pulled up the rear cargo area carpet and made some marks and made marks on the outsdie edges of the 2x4 tubing for where the upper shackle bolts would hit them (if they're tightened inward, you must loosened them in order to insert the tubing into the frame rails)

then i cut some shims from some 2"x1/4" flat bar and tacked it to the outside of the 2x4 tubing and also 1 piece along the bottom. i positioned the outside shim so that the mentioned upper shackle bolt would strike it aprox at its center thus giving more support to the wall of the tubing.

once i had the mounting tubes inside the frame rail and the shackle bolts tightened and holding them i tacked into the floor of the cargo area a 4"x1" plate with 2) 1/2" holes, then drilled through the said holes throught the tubing and out the bottom of the frame rails.
514361_43_full.jpg

since my buper design incorporated new rear shackle mounts i also cut some round tubing to act as crush sleeves for the original shackle bolts to be tightened against the tubing.
the rest is pretty self explanatory,
i cut a length of tubing for the main bumper tube, clamped it in place and tacked it on then pretty much did the same for the shackle mounts then pulled the whole thing off as a unit and finished out the welds and gussets

not even a dislike?? comments or crude jokes about my mama??

scoobyxj said:
HOw about pics so blurry I can hardly tell it's a Jeep

thanks i'll get right to work on takin some better pics for ya homie..

meanwhile you keep on truckin,, i mean WEB-wheelin.

JLane99XJ said:
thanks i'll get right to work on takin some better pics for ya homie..

meanwhile you keep on truckin,, i mean WEB-wheelin.

I'm with him on this. Your pictures are completly useless, and the post doesnt really hold any interest without them. _YOU_ may know what is in the pictures, as you know what you are looking for, but I can barely tell the jeep from the wall behind it.

Jeepin Jason said:
talk about killing your departure angle... :p

oh yeah its completely deminished... :wierd:

besides the spring eyes draggin on a few rocks (which doesn't bother me- or the jeep) the overall setup is higher and more departure-angle friendly than most any other XJ with 6" lift and 35s, not to mention having more rear flex than Xj-length leaves ever thought about having...

i guess i'll add some better pics..

ps- oh yeah, yer mama :)

oh yeah? oh yeah?! well, well... TINT WINDER! :laugh3:

I'm sure it'll flex better than using regular XJ leafs, it just looks like the rear half of the leafs and the shackles sit out behind and below the gas tank. I guess it's probably not much worse than what you have with most tail pipes and trailer hitches though.

Last edited:
Harvo said:
Are those rear springs "s" shaped???

no they're shaped like Ms they used to be part of the sign at McDonalds
:sure:

looks like you need to set your bumpstops so you dont invirt your springs anymore..

awspence said:
shackle angle at rideheight? they look vertical on the stuffed spring on those pics

yeah they're a little off..
at ride height they're leaning from front to rear (opposite of stock- leaning from rear toward front from bottom to top)

i'll more than likely change the setup in the future with some new front mounts and some 63" chevy 1/2 ton leaves and set the rear eye and rear mount so the shackle angle and the ride is better.

XJ_ranger said:
looks like you need to set your bumpstops so you dont invirt your springs anymore..

in order to that i would by definition have to have bumpstops right??

lol.. pull-a-part sells leaf-packs for $22 each, i think its worth the travel..

if i were concerned with overstressing the leaves i wouln't have inverted the overload-leaves...

my bumpstops are when the tire meets the fender-wells :)

Back