NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 11th, 2005, 06:46
NAXJA Forum User

Unhappy bolt stuck on brake caliper

I have an 85 jx with d30 up front with select trac. I am trying to get my brake caliper off and cannot get a bolt out of the bottom. It is pretty rounded off and I have tried just about everything. I have soaked it for three days before even touching it. I torched it to get it nice and hot but still won't budge. Anyone with any info on this? Thanks.
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:40
NAXJA Forum User

Re: bolt stuck on brake caliper

Are you talking about the caliper bolt? Where did you apply the heat? The bolt is kinda long so if you heated the head end the heat probably didn't get to the other end of the bolt, well not hot enough to help anyway. Try to tighten it a little, not much, just enough to maybe break it loose. Try tapping the head with a hammer to shock it a little. I think it's metric, been a while, so make sure you are using the right size.
Old March 11th, 2005, 07:48
NAXJA Forum User

I heated the entire bolt length, tried tapping it with a hammer and still nothing. I am out of choices on what to do. I don't want to break it off then I will be in a bigger mess. I need this bolt out to finish my axle replacement. anybody with any suggestions?
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:42
NAXJA Forum User

13mm six sided box wrench and PB blaster on the knuckle. And make sure you're turning it the right way (anticlockwise) - that's where I went wrong & ended up having to remove the whole bloody knuckle. Learnt a lot though...
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:45
NAXJA Forum User

what do you mean remove the knuckle? and yes I am turning it the right way if it would turn.
Old March 12th, 2005, 06:55
NAXJA Forum User

I snapped the bolt off at the steering knuckle, and ended up trying to drill it, cut a groove with a hacksaw, then weld a nut on, blah, blah, blah. Finally, once it was completely flush with the knuckle and I could do no more, I removed the whole bloody knuckle and took it to a engineering shop where they were able to get the big tools to it. A sorry story, but a learning experience...
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:47
NAXJA Forum User

finally finished my axleshaft replacement. My brake caliper was my biggest problem. The top one came out no problem but the bottom one I had to grind flush with the caliper and then slide the rotor and caliper off at the same time. I then put everything back together and took it for a ride. There was no problem with the brakes but I didn't trust the bolt without a head on it on the bottom so I plan on taking it apart again today and drilling the bolt out and tapping some new threads on it for a new bolt. Thought that I would put this on here incase somebody else could use this info. Axleshaft only took me five minutes to replace .
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:06
NAXJA Forum User

Make sure you've got hardened drill bits- the 8.8 bolt will dull normal ones in a flash.
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:51
NAXJA Forum User

thanks for the info. I just decided to take it in to a shop and it cost me twenty bucks for them to drill it out and fit in a new bolt. I am glad that I paid the money instead of doing it myself. they did a good job for an hours worth the work.
Old March 14th, 2005, 13:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancer
13mm six sided box wrench and PB blaster on the knuckle. And make sure you're turning it the right way (anticlockwise) - that's where I went wrong & ended up having to remove the whole bloody knuckle. Learnt a lot though...

I think where you went wrong was using a six point tool. It's very necessary to use a 12 point socket or wrench.

After it's rounded an unable to get a bite run down to sears and get a stripped bolt socket set. You get 5 for $20. One of mine was worn and I had to use this and it worked great. Then take a trip to the dealer and get all new bolts.
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:07
NAXJA Forum User

I had the proper tool for the job it was just rusted in there so bad that it would not move. I got the kit you were talking about from fleet farm and it still would not come out so I grinded it off. Everything is replaced new and good to go.
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:56
NAXJA Forum User

Question Re: bolt stuck on brake caliper

"PB blaster" ?
Old March 16th, 2005, 13:23
NAXJA Forum User

I soaked the bolt all the bolt for two days spraying twice a day. Still would not come out so I got the grinder out.
Old March 16th, 2005, 13:25
NAXJA Forum User

I soaked the bolts for two days spraying twice a day with the P.B. Blaster. It still wouldn't move so I had to get the grinder out. Everything is replaced now and hopefully I don't have to mess with the passenger side anytime soon. Thanks for the input though.
Old March 16th, 2005, 13:32
NAXJA Forum User

Cool Re: bolt stuck on brake caliper

Is this "P.B. Blaster" thing top secret or what... (What is it?)