NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 7th, 2003, 13:14
NAXJA Forum User

Brake job question?

I have an '89 Limited that I'm trying to replace te front brake pads on. Does anybody know what size of allen wrench the caliper pins take? Please let me know, my brakes are grinding!
Old May 7th, 2003, 14:07
NAXJA Forum User

Jamison,

On my 88 XJ I have seen internal hex, trox and external hex (bolt head) pins used for the slider pins. My local garage gave me bolt type heads that take a 10 mm socket when I had the XJ in for front hub replacement.

Three years ago I had the entire brake system renewed and I needed new front rotors, mine were warped and too thin to turn. If your doing the job I'd suggest you replace rotors also.

I also have had several coworkers who had the rubber line deteriorate from the inside, form a check valve with a flap and lock up the brakes lock up when they were far from home. This may be smart money to change the hoses now and flush the system.

If you keep your calipers then just go buy the new caliper pins at the parts store and try to get the ones with hex heads and not the sockets that aways strip out. Then cut off the boot and use your vice grips to turn out your current caliper pins.

Martin
Old May 7th, 2003, 16:14
NAXJA Forum User

7mm
Old May 7th, 2003, 20:16
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks for the help, I got it taken care of. It was actually a torx fitting, but the manual said that it was an allen. It took me some frustration to actually get under far enough to see.