• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Meter Communications

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Hey, let's talk on our geekier radios!

I'll be on 146.585 simplex, thta's the unofficial official SoCal chapter frequency. If you know any repeaters worth keeping an eye on post up.

Never leave home without the 2 meter radio....
There are several repeaters that are accessible while in the Moab area.

Moab: 146.76 -88.5
146.90 -88.5
Monticello: 146.61 -88.5

What are these two meter radios you speak of and where do mount a radio that big???? :laugh3:

What are these two meter radios you speak of and where do mount a radio that big???? :laugh3:

It's like the tin cans and strings you Southern boys use but it has a really nice string.

It's like the tin cans and strings you Southern boys use but it has a really nice string.

Ahhhhhh, ok. My third cousin on my mom's side has one of those.....I always accused her of being a yuppie.

Ahhhhhh, ok. My third cousin on my mom's side has one of those.....I always accused her of being a yuppie.

I can hear you now Mark......Y'all fancy folk got one of them talking boxes! :D

I can hear you now Mark......Y'all fancy folk got one of them talking boxes! :D

Just don't have one of them boxes what shows moving pictures.....they scare me. :scared:

You mean I could use my race radio for something other than racing?

mac 'almost sold it' gyvr

would someone be there that has the adapter to plug into my icon and a way to program these frequencies into it?

mac 'or do i need to buy one' gyvr

Anyone have a good link where I can pick one of these radios up?

Well that's tough, there's a vast range of price point you could get yourself in to.

www.hamcity.com is a good shop and has plenty of options. A 50W + mobile radio is nice or the Jeep.

If you want to get in with minimal cost to check it out (dip your toe in) this little handheld is a great place to start. With that radio and this antenna you'll be in style, believe it or not this works better than your CB as long as you have the antenna pointed out the window. (I can easily get 90 miles from this if I have clean line of sight). The antenna is a must though, the antenna that comes on the handheld (and most handhelds, even $300+ ones) from the factor is crap.

Go to www.qrz.com to take the technician class test exams. Keep practicing unti you're passing consistently then go get the license. The you can get full use of the radio and repeaters in the area without having to stress out about the more persnickity ham operators whining about yoru lack of a call.

Dang my yaesu (sp?) handheld was 2 or 300 bucks...

I got a deal on my base icon with antenna.

mac 'never had one in a race car but spent money like I did' gyvr

Yeah, My Yaesu was near 400 and I love it.

These little cheap ones are great for knockabouts and loaners though. I even crashed partially on that radio and it held up fine.

Well that's tough, there's a vast range of price point you could get yourself in to.

www.hamcity.com is a good shop and has plenty of options. A 50W + mobile radio is nice or the Jeep.

If you want to get in with minimal cost to check it out (dip your toe in) this little handheld is a great place to start. With that radio and this antenna you'll be in style, believe it or not this works better than your CB as long as you have the antenna pointed out the window. (I can easily get 90 miles from this if I have clean line of sight). The antenna is a must though, the antenna that comes on the handheld (and most handhelds, even $300+ ones) from the factor is crap.

Go to www.qrz.com to take the technician class test exams. Keep practicing unti you're passing consistently then go get the license. The you can get full use of the radio and repeaters in the area without having to stress out about the more persnickity ham operators whining about yoru lack of a call.

Armed with this info, I might even have to get me one these fancy stringed radios.

For mobile rigs I've got an FT-8800R in the Jeep, it's a nice dual band radio but it hurts to buy. I also have a cheap FT-1900R that I use as an extra or for my little repeater box.

Back