• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NACFEST 2021 Registration NOW OPEN

Total newb to the Jeep world and this site but realizing this is a 3hr drive from NYC. How worth it would this even be for someone who’s new to off-roading and has a mostly stock (for now) Jeep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total newb to the Jeep world and this site but realizing this is a 3hr drive from NYC. How worth it would this even be for someone who’s new to off-roading and has a mostly stock (for now) Jeep?

Completely worth it! The NAC folks are a great bunch of people. Rausch Creek offers a wide variety of terrain; enough to challenge your stocker, but not destroy it.

The interaction with the folks is as important if not more. Heck, I've come to 3 or 4 and never even brought a rig. I'm hoping to come to this one before I move 6,000 miles away.

David Bricker / SYR

Completely worth it! The NAC folks are a great bunch of people. Rausch Creek offers a wide variety of terrain; enough to challenge your stocker, but not destroy it.

The interaction with the folks is as important if not more. Heck, I've come to 3 or 4 and never even brought a rig. I'm hoping to come to this one before I move 6,000 miles away.

David Bricker / SYR

Thanks for the response! Sounds like a blast and tbh a good opportunity to see some different Jeep’s and get opinions on what I should do with mine. Definitely don’t want to beat up my Jeep too much since I have to park it on a city street with no garage to work in when it’s all said and done but I totally want to get a little flavor

I’ll keep my eyes on the forums here and mark It on my calendar but since my schedule can be random is there a deadline to sign up?

Definitely join us, I promise you won’t regret it, Jeep or jeepless you’ll have a good time. Also it is a good place to “browse” options and setups. We have stockers to the extreme at our event. You can join us with out pre registering, pre reg helps us with a headcount for supplies,shirts, food and such, pre reg IS NOT required to join us but encouraged. June 1st is the pre reg cutoff

STROKER

Ok I think I’m going to come if my schedule allows it. I’d really like to. My XJ will be mostly stock unless I can get a lift done prior. (Suspension is busted anyhow)

However if I’ve learned anything after buying new stock tires the other day, I should probably wait to do that until seeing other builds and such. Don’t want to do the wrong things.

Thanks y’all

Rausch offers trails for every level, from bone-stock to full-on competition rigs. There's more than enough stock-level stuff to keep you busy all weekend, and I've never known a NACFest that didn't run stock-friendly groups (I've led quite a few of them myself over the years).

Please do try to come if your schedule allows, as others have said it really is good times.

Since it's a 3-hour haul from NYC, might I suggest you consider either booking in at Twin Grove campground or one of the hotels over at the intersection of I-81 and PA-443 (about 5-10 mins from campground)? I've only got a 2-hour run from western NJ, but on a hot day that makes for a very early start and a very late return home even for me. There's a Comfort Inn and an Econo-Lodge that should be fairly budget-friendly, if cost is an issue and/or the campground is full-up.

Seems like the campground is the best move. Closest to the fun. I’ll take that route if I can but noted on what your options are.

Is there generally a big group? Hope to see y’all out there!

The campground is where a lot of us stay. We also have the dinner and raffle there. There is also some nightly get togethers usually at one of the cabins for a bullshit sessions. The group will fill up one of the pavillions with some space still availble.

I think most of the regulars would agree with me that if you can get reservations at Twin Grove for this, that's definitely the best option - all the non-trail "action" will be there, and while you can get in as a "visitor" without any fuss, being either a relatively short walk or an idle-speed drive back to where you're bunking when the campfire gathering peters out beats driving the 10 minutes back down 443 to one of the hotels around midnight all hollow. Also, in the event you need to work on something, you've got most of us right there to lend a hand/tools/advice (or to just shoot the bull with while you're wrenching). Far as I'm concerned, hanging with the group at camp is at least half the experience of NACFest.

I mentioned the hotels because sometimes Twin Grove fills up quick (which is why I typically book as soon as the chapter BOD locks down the dates) and it's always good to have a backup option. Additionally, I wasn't sure what your budget for coming out would be, and wasn't sure if you'd consider Twin Grove to be too expensive or not and didn't want you to think that if you couldn't get/afford the campground you'd be stuck driving 3 hours each way every day if you wanted to come out.

We usually get 18-20 rigs or more, so while not the biggest event going, we just about always have enough to field a group at each level on Friday and Saturday. Thursday's a fair bit smaller - I think the club arranges with Rausch to open the place just for us (they aren't normally open on Thursdays), and there's usually only a handful of the regulars there, since many folks can't always get off work on Thursdays. Makes for a nice, relaxing day to mosey around the park as a sort of shakedown run before the real wheeling kicks in on Friday/Saturday. If you're thinking you might manage to get out for Thursday and are concerned about being "underequipped", don't be - I'm a regular Thursday participant, and I'm always happy to show a new person "a good time" by taking them around the greens.

Rob

X2 to what Rob said!
Listen, I'm the chapter president and more than likely will be running either my wife's stock jk or a mostly stock wj this year, so you'll be among friends and have a great time regardless!
My "big project " just won't be ready in time, but that doesn't matter. The scenery is worth it alone!
Come on out!
Rich

Awesome! I’m not sure if I can make the Thursday work but I’m going to try to get a campsite and come out. Why not!

There a way to find people going to pre connect on insta or something? Sucks to come in blind and be like “hey I heard about this on the forums and I’m here now” haha

Awesome! I’m not sure if I can make the Thursday work but I’m going to try to get a campsite and come out. Why not!

Great! Attendance on all three days isn't mandatory/required - whatever your schedule allows for is fine.

There a way to find people going to pre connect on insta or something? Sucks to come in blind and be like “hey I heard about this on the forums and I’m here now” haha

Heck, "saw this on the forums, so here I am" is a long-standing tradition for NACFest (it's how I ended up coming out for my first NACFest, way back in '04).

I can't speak to coordination on social media (I'm only "barely" on FB myself), but feel free to wander around the campground in the evening after you arrive and get settled in - we are usually spread around all the different cabin/cottage groups, so just mosey around and see what Jeeps you see. We're usually not the only Jeep group there, but we usually seem to account for a bunch of the XJs when we are. Odds are if you spot NAXJA and/or NAC decals, it's one of us, so stop and say hello.

As the event draws closer, you'll probably start seeing folks noting what cabins they're in, and someone will get designated the "nightly campfire spot", so keep an eye on the forums for that sort of thing too. Sometimes there's even a "Ok, I'm here, I'm in cabin <x>" thread too.

Fwiw, I went in blind and a day early on the word of someone from a club local to me back in 2008.
The Powers that Be saw me pulling in while they were at the campground restaurant, and invited me to join them when I was done with check in.
That was almost 13 years ago, and in that time I've made life long friends of those people and many others in this group, and ended up chapter president as others retired. Your best adventures begin blindly.
If you decide to come out, don't sweat it, I will make sure to find you beforehand and the welcome wagon will be in full effect. We take care of our people!
Rich

I'm in agreement with Rob and Rich. First time i went I had found a local club to me and a couple of people were members here. Not knowing anyone here and only meeting the other guys a few times, I got the feeling of being accepted almost immediately. A couple of years later family issues came about and I disappeared. Fast forward 11 years later I came out to the event and it was like I never left. Made some new friends and now I look forward to going each year. You will be amazed at how well the group makes newcomers feel.
Victor

Great! Thanks for the encouragement. Fingers crossed I’ll make it out.

I come from just north of Boston every year. Came out the first year with about a 2" lift and highway tread 29" tires and, even though I THRASHED the thing, I made it all the way back home. Had a blast and now this year will be my 5th in a row. If you can come, Do it. You WON'T regret it.

Hey all I’d like to welcome MidlandUSA as a sponsor for our event! They are graciously sending us some prizes for our raffle and have created a discount code for us. Use promo code NAC15 for 15% off! Get a working radio before the event so everyone can communicate on the trail!

I'll post this up in the event forum once it's up and running

Back