• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

miss firing....well i think??

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
Well here is what happens...

my car is a daily driver and this never happens except when i take the long drive to my off roading spot!

this happend both times i made the drive...

the engine starts missing and firing umproperly....

sense then i replaced, rotor, distrubutor cap, spark plugs and wires

i think that should fix the problem?right?

anyone have any idea why it only does it after the long drive...

cas

thanks...reason im asking is im making the 30min drive again tomorow!

if you gave the pertinent info about your TRUCK then maybe someone could help.
Year, motor, tranny, etc.

87manche said:
if you gave the pertinent info about your TRUCK then maybe someone could help.
Year, motor, tranny, etc.

alright

auto
airbox replaced with high flow filter

thats all i can think off they might need

oh and the miss firing only happens when idling or low rpms

cas

cranckshaft sensor i changed mine and it runs better then ever if u get mud or dirt on the sensor it doesnt read right and it controls ur efi and ur engine will hesisatate.

If it is in fact a misfire, when it is acting up, pull one plug wire at a time to isolate the offending cylinder. It could be a cracked spark plug or a defective injector.

Or it could very well be the crank position sensor breaking down where it gets hot.

chris

Make sure all the cable boots are all the way onto the plug. Pull them one at a time and look at the connectors, it is real easy to push a connector deeper into a plug boot and have it make an iffy connection.
I had a brand new distributor cap, when I pulled the wire boot off of the cap, the whole electrode came out with it.
New doesn't necessarily mean good, it just means new.
Obscure but possible. I had a distributor with a plugged drain hole. It had some water in the bottom (half a thimble full), that would freeze. When it finally got hot enough in the distributor, it would melt, then vaporize and cause a misfire. Drove me nuts.
Have you retrieved the codes, I pretty sure a 96 will give you stored codes by the key method.

Sometimes it takes a few tries, too fast or too slow and you get nothing.

tons of extensions and reach it from the tail end of the tranny. if your have one of those gear wrenches you can get it from the front but extensions are easier.

Back