• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scotts ZJ.. AKA Reggie the redjeep

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
I should of started this thread when I bought the rig a year ago.. Oh well.. But since it seems Im going to have it awhile, I kind of want to keep a log, And why not here? Initially, this might be a bit of a "Photo dump" as I quickly catch this thread up to current..

I picked this ZJ up for $600 August 2013, It had some interior Fire damage, The heater resistor had caught fire and they didnt know how to put it out..

Honestly, I wasnt even really seeking another Jeep.. But I had a Pile of parts laying around.. and I was down a rig in the drive-way(I "Left" jeeps and got a taste of Quads..haha)

It ran and drove Beautifully, and had been maintained religiously by a local shop, I am the 3rd owner, the first two owners were a father/Son.. and they always used the same mechanic, It was neat to know all the oil changes had been done on time, and every little thing was always fixed..

First thing first, It seemed to be seeping oil around the Valve covers..

Then it was time to gather up some stashed parts for my previous ZJ part out

With the help of a buddy, after a week of Removing the original Axles/Suspension/Transfercase And then Burning in the Claytons Rear brackets, Frame stiffners, and Crossmember, and then Installing all the Links, 231 with SYE and 2low, Tom woods rear shaft, the Two built axles, and some 35s!

It was finally time to take it out and do a test drive, What better test drive than to DEQ/DMV

Last edited:
After a few tweeks, and re-torques, the rig felt solid, and I started Daily driving it, Something this Build is going to require, Streetability.

But I couldnt get over the smell of the burnt Carpet/Dash, So I found a replacement carpet

And then I Re-gained custody of my old 5.9 ZJ seats.. Along with some cheesy Interior Lighting

Tossed it all in and went to a drive-In movie

after that, Nick and I took it out to the "Dont fear the jeeper" Show

I logged around 2k miles on the rig, And decided I was attending the NAXJA 30th anniversary in Moab..

Last edited:
2 weeks after getting Home from moab, It was time to try out Elbe Hills

This trip was the first real Carnage, there was some popping up front, Drivers mirror was gone, Rockers bashed in, and MUD..

well, Got it home, and found the popping was a Loose steering box.. so it was time to re-design my steering box brace.. I added the M.O.R.E. Box Clamp for a better "Grip" on the box along with new steering box bolts

After that fix, I drove the jeep as a daily driver, Logging the miles.. But It was starting to get COLD.. without the heater!

It was time for the christmas tree run, this is always a fun close trip, So I didnt really worry about the heat..

I had been playing in 2low all day and wasted so much fuel that Gas-light was on.. Well, I tossed it into 4low and was taking it easy trying to conserve fuel to make it back into town..

Unfortunately, I learned a Lesson the hardway.. 4wd with a Detroit up front on Slick roads can be dangerous, Front end locked up going around a slight corner, and the rig didnt turn.. We went straight off the road without and explenation at the time

after a Dual winch recovery (Thanks Nightfoam and Justin?)
I somehow blew ANOTHER ring and pinion, and had the damage of a Flopped rig.. Broken passenger side window included! With no Heat, that made for a LONG drive home.. Thanks everyone that helped with that crappy process!

After that the Jeep was taken off DD status and a list of Repairs was made..

First up.. the broken Ring & Pinion, Along with a broken Nitro Alloy shaft

Last edited:
RWK haus supply was able to get me a great price on another R&P/Install kit, and Nitro sent out a replacement shaft pretty quickly..

It was time to move on to the big job of replacing the heater box

While this was going on, I put myself on a waiting list with Thoseguysrodandcustoms for a Hybrid Cage/rocker replacements

I knew the general Idea of the cage, So I ordered up a 42" LED lightbar from Lifetime LED..

Also came up on a KILLER deal on 4 Raceline Monsters, And I figured since I just ordered a new Gear set etc, I was still rocking the dana 30 for now..

After that, It was time to install the Gears and get this thing back on the road before the Cage install

With some Awesome Help from RedJeep2.0 on the new Gear setup

Then I delivered it to Patrick, at Those guys. He did a top notch job, I cannot wait to do business with him again (Thats.. Later)

Last edited:

After this, It was time for a winch.. I've always wanted a Powerplant, and wasnt going to settle for less.. After a quick phone call, An order was made..

Now I had to find a way to mount this huge beast.. I'm not about to spend $1k on one of the Ugly aftermarket bumpers available for the ZJ.. (hell, I dont even like the Hansen front bumper)

I decided to make my own.. First up.. enlisting RedJeep2.0 for help.. and then STEEL!!!!!!!!!!!

It took 2 weeks to Build (Simply due to time) Between those weeks, there was a Impromptu Car show for a Cancer patient named "Gideon"

Ordered an LED light bar to fit under the winch

Last edited:
then it was time for Evans creek! This trip will always stick out to me, The jeep Performed flawlessly, I went up Solo without any passengers, and I really enjoyed the pace.

After that, The jeep went back to Daily driver status for a bit.

And that of course meant.. Highway failure

the Downside to WJ knuckles is the many different ways to do the conversion, and All the miscellaneous different things to Memorize, One of those was the Caliper bracket bolts ALWAYS get RED loctite.. A step I had simply forgot to do the last time I had the calipers off. And It cost me,

The Passenger side Caliper fell off, locked inside the wheel, and locked the tire up at 65mph..

With AAA sending a flatbed truck (the second Bad choice here)

When the tow truck showed up, He winched the rig up the High-traction deck..

No big deal, Except then It was stuck there.. when Trying to 2low the rig Off the flatbed, All hell broke loose..

I pulled it apart, 2 broken shafts, 1 destroyed Raceline Monster, 1 Hairline cracked Raceline monster, 1 lower ball joint, 2 Calipers, 2 SS brake lines and a whole lot of Hurt pride..

After this, It was decided.. I'm down with 1/4 ton Running gear.. While "THIS" time wasnt exactly the dana 30's fault, I'm tired of the WAR with it..

So.. with that said. I got a line on a pair of 2006 Superduty axles.. Witch consist of a High pinion Dana 60, with 35 spline Inner and outer shafts.. and a 35 spline Sterling 10.50 with disc Brakes

I ordered the Artec Industries Truss last week

I have a ton of cutting, This axle is a Radius Arm/Coil sprung axle that has about 470lbs of Cast Bullshiat to grind off..

I've since started some small clean up while there is no front axle in my way.. I started with Rear main seal/oil pan gasket and a new Oil pump

That's where I am at this moment..

There are big plans in the works.. Im blue-printing the next phase for this jeep.. I look forward to documenting it in this thread..

I keep forgetting to ask you Scott, do you still have your unit bearings (from the wj setup) or are they destroyed/gone?

I keep forgetting to ask you Scott, do you still have your unit bearings (from the wj setup) or are they destroyed/gone?
They went with the axle.

Spent a couple hours on the Dana 60.. Up till now, It's required an Engine hoist to be moved, And now It can be picked up by two guys..

I'll be setting it up on a stand and start "Chopping" the factory brackets this week..

Stock 27spline D30 shaft versus Stock 35 spline D60 shaft

Progress will be slow for the next few weeks.

I love this big sexy ZJ man. I got to see it in MOAB too last fall. that was very cool. I lost a WJ caliper bolt in the snow. I know your pain. Im now on a 14b and a hp44 after the "war" with 1/4 ton axles myself.

I love this big sexy ZJ man. I got to see it in MOAB too last fall. that was very cool. I lost a WJ caliper bolt in the snow. I know your pain. Im now on a 14b and a hp44 after the "war" with 1/4 ton axles myself.
Ha, Thanks man! Fall-fling was Awesome. Maybe we can meet again On the Rubicon sometime 2015!

Great build Scott! I am digging that front bumper you made.....subscribed....
Thanks Joe! I wanted a simple tube bumper with nothing extra..

and It turned out exactly how I had hoped.

anyway, No real progress today, Working long hours this week:eye:

But.. I did find out Ruffstuff specielties is having a 20% off sale right now:rtm:

Last edited:
One of the most impressive build threads I've followed so far and all I can say is your fabrication and welding skills are excellent as are they well thought out. This is an XJ that anyone would be proud to call their own, I would anyway thanks for posting it up.

Fred

My bad Thanks.

Artec industries order 1of2 has arrived
(Along with 32 liters of full synthetic diesel oil I scored for free)

Back