• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TMC'S project: "Fire-Road Runner"

Is the first pic before or after you removed the relocation bracket? Your shackle is standing straight up and down. The shackle needs to be angled to a 45 degree.

Thats after. With my current springs and shackles, the relocation brackets made it far too tall and bouncy in the back even with it at a 45. I believe I was measuring about 4.75" of total lift and now Im down to 3" with the shackle at about 75-80 degrees.

We spent over 4 hours in the mountains yesterday afternoon on fire roads and two-tracks and it honestly handles and feels better than when the brackets were in.

Im not saying they dont work or aren't good, they just didnt work with what I currently have.

Well. Just when you thought was this thread was over, lol!

A guy locally was selling 4.10 gears and carriers out of his 89. I got both ring, pinions and carriers for my dana 30 and 35 for $60. Thats right....$60!!! :D

Any way, I got the rear installed last weekend. I had to swap my spider gears over, but other than that, the 35 is all finished up. I test drove it today and other than my speedo being off....

....its like night and freaking day difference! The 4.0/5 spd/31"s/4.10s seem like a perfect combo! My tach is reading right at 2k to 2100 at 65-70.

Now its just a matter of getting the dana 30 done before winter lol.

Well yesterday morning I decided to take off my RC Relo brackets. They just gave my too much lift and I don't want to be over 3" over stock height. I had quite a rake with them installed. Now Im measuring 21" hub to flare on both axles.

Im really happy with the stance and the ride currently. Those new shocks in the back are working great.

And last but not least, I took my son and my father-in-law up past Laird Park towards Little Sand (pics in past post) and we had a blast. The new rear set-up handled great, possibly better, than with the Relo brackets. They just made the back feel too bouncy. Im sure they are great with different or aftermarket springs.

Nothing like wheeling and hiking in the PNW!

Why not just get a shorter shackle? You would benefit from the angle and not as long of a shackle more so than going without with the longer shackle (articulation wise).

I went to somewhere here in Oregon that looks identical to Laird Park. I was convinced it was the same area! This is out in Tillamook state Forrest.

80-13621746_10153494712536626_1180165177_o_740c0e659c4ed5876b144c532abf27f22daedb23.jpg

L8wim3O.jpg

The shackle relo brackets are sold and gone. Actually those longer shackles are gone too. Im back to stock shackles. I just didn't need the extra heighth or any crazy articulation where I wheel/live.

Thats insane! It looks almost identical! That wide shot is awesome man!

Oh just fyi for everyone:

I was taking a load of stuff in to town to donate and holy moly! :O This thing can get up and go now! There were several times where I was just plugging along and when I looked down the speedo said 70 or sometimes 75
:shocked:

I know the speedometer is not accurate but still, once this thing is in 5th gear, whooooo look out!
:D

Wow. The things that can change in just 2 years......

Brief recap:

Sold the 3” shocks and coils and bought new Upcountry springs and shocks, so I’m back down to 1-1.5” over stock. Just FYI for anyone, 31’s fit on the Upcountry height.

Sold the turbines and 31’s, found a set of 5 Ecco wheels and got new Hercules Terra Trac At2’s in the 235/75/15 variety. Amazing tire BTW!

The Dana 35 went the way of Old Yeller, fortunately it did it when I came to a complete stop and not on the highway.

Almost sold the Jeep when that happened, but right before I did I saw that a local guy on Craigslist was parting out a 98, so now I have a Chrysler 8.25 in the rear.

The family and I moved to Idaho, I’m doing the same thing just somewhere else.

I’m sure I’m forgetting something else...oh yeah! Update pictures!

This was at a mine you literally can drive right up to and look in....let’s just say I’ve got Fireroads as far as the eye can see. 😁👍🏻

80-d17dd98c_b399_451d_9446_55edf622e3ca_87696c9ebc7bbbb6a31c37247c1a28a85d11065e.jpeg

80-4ebf6b19_6581_402c_a7b7_a15156f6e21f_dfcc2421e7c868978fc212d5666c104361939248.jpeg

I've been looking for new rims for my 2001 and I really like those turbines. are they OE?

They are OEM. They came on the pre ‘97 years. They can be found fairly easily (depending on where you live) but the caps are hit or miss. They just pop on, and I actually had to buy mine from a guy locally after I got the Jeep.

I can’t remember if it was on here or on Cherokee Forum, but I did find some shots of a ‘97+ one with them. He had resurfaced or painted them. They looked good! :thumbup:

Dang, I've been tempted to move to Idaho. So there's good fire roads out that way?

I personally really enjoy it. There isn’t really “technical” trails like in TSF, but if you’ve got time and a map and they aren’t closed or gated, you can explore for days.

Load up the camping and fishing gear and go. That’s what I’m talking about!

😁👍🏻

Back