• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extreme boredom

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
So anyone ever have some crazy one-off idea they would love to do to a vehicle, any vehicle at all, that no one has ever done before? If only you had the money and time? Man does it SUCK!!! I don't know about you but being a total gearhead does have its downsides. Especially when you have the tools and know-how to do it just don't have the cash.

Ive always thought a 4X4 AMC Pacer would be cool. The Pacer was ahead of its time.

i'd like to build a mid engine tube frame race car out of a front wheel drive turbo car, with the motor turned sideways to have 4wd. :farmer:

See my 87 Fiero thread...;) Also a Gremlin with a big-block stuck in the tail and tubbed rear wells. I'd two tone it purple on top, lime green comin up from underneath in kind of a wide checkmark...
EDIT: or take my wife's Focus and swap a V6 out of an SVT Contour into it with a pair of electric motors driving the rear wheels to make a "hybrid" AWD Focus. Then lift it a little (only a couple inches) with a long travel suspension, dirt tires, maybe like 215/75r15 BFG ATs, and skidplating. Make it a sort of Baja Focus...
Or how about takin a Ford Escape, puttin the suspension bits from a Gama Goat or even an H1/HMMWV underneath or any fully independent suspensio with an eye towards durability and travel, juice the engine up some or maybe swap in a modular V8 and make it into a true "pre-runner" or off-road race truck. Get me going and I gots all kinds of ideas and plans for cars to make em cooler.....

Last edited:
If you're talking weird crazy dream cars outside of the XJ:

1976 Honda Civic with late model S2000 drivetrain (RWD).
1981 Toyota Corolla 2 Door with twin-turbo 2JZ-GTE.

1978 Jensen Interceptor bone stock. (I want mine back! Wah!)

VW 1.9 TDI into XJ. Camaro 3.8 into Tracker.
I also want an old 5-ton military truck, with a Cummins medium-duty diesel, something bigger than the 5.9, but not quite Peterbilt sized...and retractable ramps to drive my Jeep up onto the flatbed with winch mounted behind the cab in case I break the Jeep and can't drive it up :D 53" XMLs, a big ol PTO winch up front, and OX-lockers in the two rear axles. It'd be my occasional off-road toy, Jeep hauler, RV tower, recovery vehicle, mobile tail gate party (with a grille in the bed...)

91 Jeep Project said:
Boo, thats not a crazy one off................:dunce:

i know, i'm overly practical. i don't really have any "crazy" build urges. :smoker:

maybe a lowered 2wd 2dr xj with a crazy three rotor turbo rotary and manual trans?

I wanna pull a Monster Garage type thing....

Put snow trax from 2 snowmobiles on some sort of jeep vehicle - maybe a YJ or something...and skis on the front.

that, or trax from a Snow Cat all the way around -

or an XJ body on a snow cat...something like that...

now that i think about it, option 3 is my favorite...

I want to build a sandrail with a 3.2L Taurus SHO V6.

I'd like to figure out what to do with this: '65 Rambler American 440 Hardtop with a 232 Inline Six.

263arsx.jpg

2wbz5g9.jpg

Before you get all "restore it!" on me: The chassis is done for, most of the sheet metal is rusted out. All around the trunk and rear window is cancer and swiss cheese. The engine and driveline are nice but this would be way too much money and time to bring back to original glory...

I saw an old Dodge Powerwagon the other day.

One of the ones that look like an old round suburban?

I thought the drivetrain out of a newer Cummins Dodge would be sick under that.

Plush out the interior and make it a new tow rig that will haul kids.

JNickel101 said:
I wanna pull a Monster Garage type thing....

Put snow trax from 2 snowmobiles on some sort of jeep vehicle - maybe a YJ or something...and skis on the front.

that, or trax from a Snow Cat all the way around -

or an XJ body on a snow cat...something like that...

now that i think about it, option 3 is my favorite...
You're talkin about Mattrax
link to JeepForum thread

Okay, my really wacked out 4x4 idea....

Diesel driven generator powering in-wheel electic motors at wheel...awesome torque, adjustable locking on demand, regen braking.

Along with this, single-sided swingarm suspension at all four corners, to get rid of any axles and max out ground clearance.

Like this but all four corners, with front swingarms pointing forward like our current control arms and of course much longer arms than the pic.

Think radius arms...but each wheel having its own.

MV6.jpg

Last edited:
Back