• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is anyone running an aftermarket cam?

BrianC

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for an aftermarket cam for my 4.0L. Looking for a little more power with the rebuild. I don't want to build a stroker. Anyone have any suggestions?

BrianC

The strokers Group on Yahoo has listings

[Most every cam manufacturer has several cams for the 4.0 ranging from low RPM - more torque than stock to fairly wild with more horsepower than stock. I have the Comp Cams 234-4 in my stroker and beleive it would work well in a 4.0 (requires upgraded valve springs, retainers, etc.) MOPAR Performance has 3 cams listed.

rsalemi said:
[Most every cam manufacturer has several cams for the 4.0 ranging from low RPM - more torque than stock to fairly wild with more horsepower than stock. I have the Comp Cams 234-4 in my stroker and beleive it would work well in a 4.0 (requires upgraded valve springs, retainers, etc.) MOPAR Performance has 3 cams listed.

Isky has a couple of cams as well, they are very good to deal with. I got their 133125/26 grind for my stroker, but it would be pretty good for a hotter 4.0 as well.

Still requires Mopar 5.9 Magnum springs/retainers, though, because it is .450/.465 lift.

I believe .450 lift is max for OEM valve springs.

CRASH

on the same subject, is there a cross reference for some higher ratio rockers? I'm guessing that the 4.o uses the same as another vehicle. (yes I am aware of the waaaaayyy tooo expensive roller rockers)

Stock and Roller rockers are 1.6 ratio

cherokeekid said:
on the same subject, is there a cross reference for some higher ratio rockers? I'm guessing that the 4.o uses the same as another vehicle. (yes I am aware of the waaaaayyy tooo expensive roller rockers)

MOPAR says .450 max with stock springs

Yes both of those cams would require the Mopar Magnum spring and retainer - or a valve spring other than stock.

I realize the ration is the same, I was just curious if someone had found an inexpensive (like off a 318 or something) say 1.7 rocker.

Also along these lines,,,Did you need to go with longer pushrods? Accurate Power's website says you need .030" longer pushrods for aftermarket cams.

Brian

cherokeekid said:
I realize the ration is the same, I was just curious if someone had found an inexpensive (like off a 318 or something) say 1.7 rocker.

I haven't seen any, but most of the folks I know are looking for torque and not HP so would stick with the 1.5

SeanP

BrianC said:
Also along these lines,,,Did you need to go with longer pushrods? Accurate Power's website says you need .030" longer pushrods for aftermarket cams.

Brian

That doesn't make any sense, especially since most of us building strokers are taking at least .010 off of the head and another .010 off of the block. This is likely within the range of a stock pushrod, but if anything, you would want a SHORTER pushrod to compensate for the machine work. I have a set of shims here from Jegs that come with various thicknesses to shim up Mopar rocker arm girdles.

CRASH

Back