• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chinook Pass closed until end of June?

Dawg Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Posted on the DOT site yesterday:
Updated June 2, 2011
WSDOT crews hopes to reopen Chinook Pass by the end of June. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/chinook

This could change the travel timing by a few hours. Let's hope they get it open in time.

and yet another WA state fail....gawd this state sucks

Really?? Exactly how is this a WA state failure? Just curious about your perspective of state responsibility.

People need to be keeping a close eye on the road closures as we get closer to this event. With the amount of snow still left in the mountains, the water run off and continued rock slides and avalanches on each of the passes these closures can change quickly.

I usually drive in to camp from the East and exit to the West, but this might change things a bit!!

Michael

Really?? Exactly how is this a WA state failure? Just curious about your perspective of state responsibility.

geez dont take things so seriously. lighten up. he obviously means the weather sucks in washington not the WSDOT

Your right. I am sorry for missing the smilies.

Next time it is so obviouse that he meant something different than he typed I will try to be more observant! :banghead:

Michael

Today from the DOT:
Chinook Pass will not reopen by Father's Day weekend. Going to be a close race by next Thursday.

From DOT: Updated: 2:46 PM, Jun 16: Work is progressing for an opening by the end of June but crews are optimistic efforts will deliver a quicker opening. :

From the DOT today:
CHINOOK PASS – Crews continue to blast and plow their way through the snow-covered Cascade slopes to reopen State Route 410 over Chinook Pass next Thursday, in time for the first weekend of summer travel.

At 10 a.m. June 23, 2011, WSDOT maintenance crews will reopen the east side gate to Chinook Pass at Morse Creek, five miles east of the summit. At the same time, west side crews will reopen the gate at the SR 123 junction, about four miles west of the summit.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/2011/06/17_6_ChinookPassOpening.htm

SCORE!!!!

Thanks for the info. I really wasn't looking forward to the long haul via Yakima. I like the Pass.

So I keep reading something about 410 being closed after the pass...and the state website isn't helping.

Can someone clarify for me? Chinook pass being open means we can take 410 to Naches from the west, right?

Back