• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44/Ford 9" out of 1979 Bronco?

I know that the D44s/9"s out of late 1970s F-150s are generally regarded as the best full-width axles to swap into an XJ, but what about the axles from a '79 Bronco? There's a set available close to me, and I'm playing with the idea of a swap. How do they compare to the axles from an F-150, and how much work would it take to put them under an XJ? I'm no welder, so I'd have brackets relocated/et c. done by a professional. The biggest tires I can see myself running in the future are 35s.

The axles I'm looking at are 31 spline, 65" WMS-WMS, 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, 3.50 gearing.

These will work only if you use the Bronco arms. The mounts for the arms on the Bronco axles are cast on, the F150s are welded. The 9" will be fine, but you can find those everywhere. I bought a set that was geared, locked, and rebuilt out of a '79 Bronco...had to get a housing from a F150 to make it work.
If you do the swap, RE makes all the brackets and you (or a professional) weld them on at the correct place and angle. They worked well for me, and are plenty strong. bigoffroad.com had these for the best deal that I could find (cheaper than RE themselves).
-Mike

Not true, at least some of axles from 1979 broncos have c-bushing mounts that are welded on. I thought that 77-79 F-150's and broncos are all welded on, but don't hold me to that. I have a set sitting in my back yard right now from a 1979 Bronco with welded mounts.

I'm planning on putting them in my TJ, which has an identical front suspension setup to an XJ. I will be keeping the radius arm setup, but lengthening them 6-12".

In my humble opinion, the wagonneer D44 swap is the easiest and the best fit. Low pinion axles really don't bother me.

Jared:patriot:

i believe the 79 bronco 9"ers spring perches are close to that of the Xj's. you may not have to remove them. i can't remember exact measurements, but i have a thread somewhere on this...

They are further outward than an XJ's, probably an extra 3-4" between the two spring cups.

EDIT - Oops, I thought you were talking about the front axle. I don't know about the rear perches. Very easy to relocate anyways.

This swap is sounding more and more possible for me. I can get the radius arms with the axles, so that's not a problem. Will I need to get new spring perches/coil buckets/shock mounts or can the existing ones be cut off and relocated? Even if they can be relocated, is it worth getting new ones?

I know that I'll need driveshaft modifications, and may just shell out some more money now to get an SYE. But if I don't, will I need a new flange for either shaft? I know you need a new one for the 8.8.

The 79-79 stuff is cast, but it can be welded to if done right. I have these axles in my rig and they work fine. I made the brackets to work with Rusty's long arms. The rear spring mounts are 1.5" widder than stock, I didn't move them in and the springs work just fine.

Back