• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowboy up!: Greg Gavel goes for a ride on the wild side

Danno

NAXJA Forum User
Greg Gavel (C-ROK) in the Car Wash on Hell's Revenge. This ois the first hot tub before Mickey's. Sunday prior to the start of the Moab event.
3C-ROK1.jpg

3C-ROK2.jpg

3C-ROK3.jpg

3C-ROK4.jpg

3C-ROK5.jpg

holly crap!!!!! that looks like one helluva fall.......did it still after that?........(are those pics after the fall, before or after the fall?)

C-ROK pix

the pix are before, during, after, after, and being recovered. Greg blew out the plugs and drove off. The radiator was messed up so he got towed out part way. After getting it fixed he wheeled the rest of the week.
The pix are the result of
1. Being in the right place at the right time
2. Waaaayyyy too much testosterone
3. Everybody egging him on plus (see 2. above)! :D

Actually it kind of sobered evrybody up as it was a heck of a crash. I've done Mickey's Hot Tub many times but by the time we got there later I was feeling bad karma and decided to skip it. Danno

i answered my own question after looking at tjhe pics more carefully for like 5 minutes.....it did some nice damage to drivers window/exo......was he ok? Whiplash or anything? How long did it take to get the jeep off its back and up the hill?

Greg wasn't hurt

we sat around for about 2 1/2 hours. VERY pleasant weather. Got to talk to the dude who owns Action Photos in town. I think I'm the only one who got a pix of the rollover except for the video my boy did with Greg's own camera. unfortunately he wasn't in the right spot to get the full effect.
The Action Photo guy said that he has seen a hundred rollovers and recoveries and that NAXJA did the most professional job he had seenin recovery. heck, I thought that it was pretty routine and par for the course!

MORE THROTLE!!!!!! :D

Hehe, glad you made it out ok Greg. Wish I coulda been there to be next in line.

Right on shots Dan! Thanks!

Damn that's a frickin' big hole. Who talked me into trying that sh!t????

The pics beat the video to hell. Much better angle.
I'm waaaay diggin' this shot
3C-ROK2.jpg

I think that belongs on the website. :D

Actually, the cage was pretty much totally intact, the only broken window was the drivers side rear plexi glass one. The mud on it is making it look worse than it was.
Replaced the radiator the next day and wheeled for the remainder of the week.

This happened about 18 hours after ARRIVING in Moab!
Welcome huh.

Another XJ in same hole

This is where we came accross another XJ on the Friday run. The guy was okay and drove out as well. Saw him still running around town on Saturday.

499669990103_0_SM.jpg

205179990103_0_SM.jpg

Greg----Your Exo has looked in the pictures to hold up wonderfully. Its amazing that even the front window is intact. Great design in my opinion------kyle

Good job guys. Glad no one was seriously injured. Greg, sad to see that sweet rig of yours get a bruising, but I guess thats what you designed it for. Did you have a harness on? Did you get hurt? So did you suffer any body damage at all, other than the corner of the header panel and bumper I saw in another pic?

XJguy

XJguy said:
Good job guys. Glad no one was seriously injured. Greg, sad to see that sweet rig of yours get a bruising, but I guess thats what you designed it for. Did you have a harness on? Did you get hurt? So did you suffer any body damage at all, other than the corner of the header panel and bumper I saw in another pic?

XJguy
There's a varitey of stuff that's techincally damaged. It depends on your level of perfectionistism. Mine tends to run pretty high so I see all kinds of things I need to someday fix. To the casual eye, the Jeep looks pretty much mostly intact.

Physically the only 'injury' I sustained was a hurt hand. I got X-rays and confirmed nothing is broke but shaking 20some peoples hands every day gave me some grimices while I was there. I was wearing just the 3 factory 3 point shoulder/lap belt.

I built the cage for a bunch of different reasons, roll over protection being one of them. My desire was to never to have to prove that concept out though - oh well.

Greg, nice shot in the new 4Wheel and Sport Ute mag. Looks like an interesting trail.......have to include it in our next trip to AZ. :)

Goatman said:
Greg, nice shot in the new 4Wheel and Sport Ute mag. Looks like an interesting trail.......have to include it in our next trip to AZ. :)
That's the trail I was telling you guys about. It's my favorite trail in the state.

Back