• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Control Arm Shims

MadKraken

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I’d like to put some shims up in the rear end of the stock control arms to correct caster. There is one video in YouTube about it but it’s not very good. I can’t ask any questions because he’s made it kid friendly and that prohibits chats. My question: where is he connecting the ratchet straps?

My question for the forum: is there a better way to do this (other than buy new control arms - I don’t want to right now)?

Video:

https://youtu.be/HoQbTzGgzbc

d6c037feeb5fdad76efbb250a44313c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did mine and did not use a ratchet strap. I just loosened the nut on the large pivot bolt and the two smaller nuts behind the lower control arm mounting bracket. Then I tapped a screwdriver in to push the pivot bolt forward. You can take the nut completely off to see the slot in the control arm mounting bracket so you can see how far you can go. I have been told that you can extend the slot with a carbide burr, but I do not recommend it.

You can take one of the existing shims and overlay on some steel to use as a pattern to make your own shim.

To get your caster where it should be with even a 3" lift takes 1/4", if I'm not mistaken. I couldn't get it with mine and had to buy longer control arms.

Also check your angle on the pinion on the front differential; matching it to the transfer case is more important than setting the caster. You could wear out u-joints or get driveline vibration if the pinion angle is off.

Good luck!

[mention]Runner-Man [/mention] I forgot to ask: did you jack up the Jeep when you attempted to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back