• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control question

halmca

NAXJA Forum User
Steering wheels for the '97 and '98's are different from the '00-'01', insofar as the airbag cover and cruise switches are concerned.

The cruise switches are different between the early and later ones at least in a mechanical fit sense.

Does anyone know whether they are different in an ELECTRICAL sense.

Here's why I ask: the switches tell the PCM whether to energize the cruise (on off) as well as its other functions. In installing all of the cruise components on my '98, I used a 2001 steering wheel with its switches, but my PCM is a '98. I have no juice going to the servo, and for that matter no juice going to the brake light switch. And I have no 'cruise' light on the instrument cluster. According to the FSM, the pcm won't send 12VDC to the servo until it gets an 'on' signal from the steering wheel borne switches. And yes, my cruise kill switch -- that is tandemed with the brake light switch -- is working as it should.

Ideas? Comments? Slander?

Last edited:
Different in an electrical sense is exactly how they are different.
At least that is my understanding.
Switches from a '97 or '98 will not work in a '99 to '01.
And vice versa.
Something to do with ohms I believe.
Not that I have any first knowledge but it is written a bunch on the internet.
And to make matters worse many sellers don't list the application properly.
Say for '97 to '01.
And even think the part numbers are the same to make matters worse.

Might be a good question for Tuner Chris since he works on the insides!

Different in an electrical sense is exactly how they are different.
At least that is my understanding.
Switches from a '97 or '98 will not work in a '99 to '01.
And vice versa.
Something to do with ohms I believe.
Not that I have any first knowledge but it is written a bunch on the internet.
And to make matters worse many sellers don't list the application properly.
Say for '97 to '01.
And even think the part numbers are the same to make matters worse.
Your understanding and mine are the same. I had more or less come to the same conclusion. It's interesting that there are but two conductors that connect the six switches to the ECM. Each switch presents different resistance to the ECM and that's how the ECM knows what to do, and of course, knows what to tell the servo to do.

Apparently the resistors that the switches, um, switch, are located in the switch bodies. There is a good YouTube video that talks about fitting a cruise on a YJ and although the dude does mention the incompatibility among the switches, he rather glosses over what the differences, since he -- a boat load smarter than me -- found a 2001 cruise for his 2001 Jeep.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful answer: "Different in an electrical sense is exactly how they are different." I do love and respect on point answers. Thanks.

Last edited:
The following resistance values for the switch are listed in the 97 FSM. My 2000/2001 FSM doesn't list the values.

On - 909 +/- 9 ohms
Set - 6650 +/- 66 ohms
Resume/Accel - 15400 +/- 154 ohms
Cancel - 0 (Closed Circuit)
Coast - 2940 +/- 29 ohms

Can you measure yours and post for future reference?

It's possible that you might be able to add a resistor inline and/or parallel to get the values close enough to work. I'm guessing that it's fed 5 or 12-volts through a resistor, and the numbers above work out to specific voltages across the switch. What's the voltage across the pins without the switch connected? If you have a 1k resistor or just use the switch if you measured the resistances, try putting that across the pins and measure the current flow which would help determine the resistor value inside the PCM.

97-98 part numbers are 5600 7530AC and 5600 7531AC
99-01 part numbers are 5600 7530AD and 5600 7531AD

99-01 Switches resistance values:

20k resistance when no switches pressed

Clicking the:
on/off = 500 ohm
Set = 7k ohm
Resume/Accel = 15k ohm
Cancel = 1.2k ohm
Coast = 2.9k ohm

Tolerances: Roughly 10%.

97-01 steering wheels and airbags all interchange. There are two different 97-01 airbag covers, one for cruise control equipped models and one for non cruise control models.

Normally the suffix just means a later version that superseded the previous version. Odd that the listed values are close but not quite the same.

Normally the suffix just means a later version that superseded the previous version. Odd that the listed values are close but not quite the same.

I have always gone with that the letters at the end are more a year designation then a different part. And to date that has worked out. The cruise control switches seem to be the exception to that. Wonder what other parts might be like that.

I have always gone with that the letters at the end are more a year designation then a different part. And to date that has worked out. The cruise control switches seem to be the exception to that. Wonder what other parts might be like that.

Funny this should come up. I was looking at a replacement front door check arm, which seems to be 55235571 for 97-98, but 55235571AB for 99-01. Anyone know what changed? The dealer websites list the latter as fitting those model years as well. But in general yeah, I try to find the highest letter code available for a part.

I ordered from eBay and received switches of the earlier version, installed 'em and the cruise now works as it was designed to work. With the newer model switches, the cruise wasn't even powered up.

Incidentally, for those who may not know, the wire harness of a non-cruise XJ includes all the wires for the cruise, and even includes the instrument cluster green LED that says "cruise". On my '98, the stop light switch included the switch that kills power to the cruise circuitry.

There are a number of cruise switches on eBay "for '97 -- '01, but don't be deceived: ya gotta ensure that the switches match the year of the ECM. Not so on the servo: my servo is from an '01.

Thanks to this forum for the information.

Good info - I take it the switches for each of those years are all physically the same, it's just the electrical internals that are different from year to year?

Almost all 1997-2001 factory options including Cruise Control, are plug and play. My 1998 SE work truck had an AM/FM only radio with 2 door speakers. I swapped in a headliner with rear speakers and an Overhead Console, a stock CD player with EQ radio, and it all plugged in and worked. I did not have the matching remote keyless fobs, but that would have worked also.

But not with earlier ones :( I put an 01 headliner in my 95 and although the plug for the rear domelight was the same, the wire functions had been changed! Fried my ohc computer. Miss the compass and temp.

But not with earlier ones :( I put an 01 headliner in my 95 and although the plug for the rear domelight was the same, the wire functions had been changed! Fried my ohc computer. Miss the compass and temp.

Yeah, I found that when I put the later-model headliner in my 92 - both dome lights took the same plug as my old ones, but the wiring order was different.

Fortunately, I didn't have an OHC to risk, just the basic dome lights.

I'm new to this. 5 XJs. I'm 2working on a YouTube channel. Got rid of FB cuz what they support. Figured I try a forum. 96 Classic 110k miles, 99 Sport 2 door 87k building as we speak, 2001 180k miles gifted to a friend but it's still mine, 2001 81k miles bought it for my sister but got it back now she never drove it. Started as a bronco guy cuz of my size but there's nothing like an XJ. So many sub forums just excited to join and started here.

Welcome aboard!

(Edit) Don't forget to swing by the NAC forum (the local chapter) and say hello there too...

Last edited:
The crappy part is that the 97-98 cruise switches won't allow for the WJ overland wheel swap.......unless you want to give up cruise. 99-01 XJ cruise switches are perfectly compatible with 99-04 WJ cruise switches :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

The wiring harness may well be there for Cruise even if not equipped, but for some (monetary?) reason, the vendor for the clock spring left out the extra pin for the cruise circuit (on my 1999). Even adding a connection to the existing didn't get it to work, and now I have an airbag light. I reached over from the passenger side to start it the first few times after that one! Haven't yet sprung the $225 for a new one, and Standard Motor Parts discontinued one of the switches, so now I'll need a used one.

Back