• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 and 242 HD Rebuild Options?

DPG

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
Putting a Golen 4.6 stroker in my XJ in a few months and looking for options to rebuild my AW4 trans and 242 t-case, since they are approaching 260k miles.

Any kits available to increase line pressure to strengthen the AW4 to hold up to that stroker better? Other mods? Not looking for race car shifts, but stronger and better reliability.

Should I just rebuild my 242 t-case or is there a better bolt-in HD option?

I'm a suspension guy primarily, so any advice on this is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Dirk

I was corrected on pg2 that I used their stage 1 clutches!!

Hey guys,
Putting a Golen 4.6 stroker in my XJ in a few months and looking for options to rebuild my AW4 trans and 242 t-case, since they are approaching 260k miles.

Any kits available to increase line pressure to strengthen the AW4 to hold up to that stroker better? Other mods? Not looking for race car shifts, but stronger and better reliability.

Should I just rebuild my 242 t-case or is there a better bolt-in HD option?

I'm a suspension guy primarily, so any advice on this is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Dirk

There is a 242HD. I believe it was used on Select-Trac WJ's with either of the V8 options.

Finding the 242 from the V8 WJs is tough and expensive. I put one in my WJ. I lucked out when I was searching and found one decently quick and not terribly expensive. Otherwise plan to be on the hunt and drop 300+

if you wheel that xj find you a ruby 241 , bolts right in the xj , super strong w/ the 4.1 low range. great t-case.

Thought I read that the 241s don't have the provision for the speedometer gear drive like our XJs use - maybe I'm misremembering?

There was a change in the latter years, and the early model needs a Dakota Digital converter for our use. Here's the NIB TJ 241OR I bought from JB Conversions!
FH000016_zpsip7yqmbb.jpg

Thought I read that the 241s don't have the provision for the speedometer gear drive like our XJs use - maybe I'm misremembering?

The TJ 241s just have a tone ring with sensor pickup, but there is a module you can install inline between the case and the harness and it'll work just fine. https://webshop.healtech-electronics.com/shop/sh-v4a/ is the module, and SHA-J01 is the plug/harness that goes with it. Since it's programmable, you can adjust it for any kind of deviation, or anytime you change gears or tire sizes.

The newer JK/JL 241s have no speedo provision at all since they're loaded with electronics and have speed sensors at the wheels instead.

Rcp i thought you were on some good stuff was thinking no way you paid for a 241 like that, zooming in on pic i was like holy shit that isnt a 231. Must have cost a shit ton.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Finding the 242 from the V8 WJs is tough and expensive. I put one in my WJ. I lucked out when I was searching and found one decently quick and not terribly expensive. Otherwise plan to be on the hunt and drop 300+
The WJ 242HD is also an odd input spline count if Im remembering correctly.

And they were rare when I was looking for one ~10 years ago, I can only imagine that has gotten worse as the WJs have dried up.

I think its very similar to the Durango NP242.

The WJ and Durango of the same era used the same engine, transmission and tcase on some trim levels, but each unit is slightly different. IE the 242 is the same, but uses a different input spline count. Why? WhoTF knows. :gee:

Here is a pretty cool swap, Im hoping Im allowed to link to another forum?
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/wj-np242jhd-transfer-case-96-xj-265240/

Remember the '91+ XJs are a 23 spline transmission output, while the '90 and below are 21.

Rcp i thought you were on some good stuff was thinking no way you paid for a 241 like that, zooming in on pic i was like holy shit that isnt a 231. Must have cost a shit ton.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I bought it when the Rubi TJ first came out so there wasn't any in the junk yards yet. I paid $1700 for it which I thought was a great price for a NIB transfer case!

Back