• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker after rehearing.

Bmfinney

NAXJA Forum User
Guys I’m just curious couldn’t find much on this. If I installed a locker and a few years go by and I want to run a larger tire or have more pulling power can I regear and run the same locker? And is it the same on a limited slip?

That would depend on what axle you have and what gear ratio you are going to/coming from. Find the carrier break for your axle.

depends if you have a full case or not. If it is a lunchbox then you can swap that to any gear change.
Like RCP Px said, it all depends on the carrier break for your axle and what the gearing change is going to be. D44 breaks at 3.73 I think so if going from 3.55 to 4.10 (For example), then you will need a new carrier.

Yes, lunchbox lockers dont care about the carrier break!

They are more economical than a full case locker in all cases but not as strong.

The biggest difference is when you do the following
-you have stock gearing with open diff and you want to lock it before regearing and then you regear deeper later with a new carrier
-you already have deeper than stock gearing with an open diff and want to lock it.

If you have stock gearing and are throwing in a locker at the same time as deeper gears, then you're only saving a couple hundred dollars (250 for lunchbox, 120 for carrier vs 700 for a full case auto locker like a grizzly or detroit)

I think its silly to regear to 3.73 even 410s kinda iffy on if worth it it.

4.56 4.88 really the only 2 options in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Next question I picked up a couple 87 model xj front doors with the winged glass. But the doors need new seals for the window. I found the part for the bigger window but what about the seals for the winged glass? And how hard is it to replace?

You might check with Steele to see if anything they make could work (with some mods).

Back