• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Online rally to show support for not closing the Hammer trails, March 12, 2-6 pm PST

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
In case anyone hasn't heard, there is a very real possiblity that we will lose our favorite Johnson Valley trails. The government is considering expanding the 29 Palms Marine base and the planned expansion would eliminate trails out there that we run regularly, like Sledgehammer, Jackhammer, Wrecking Ball, Outer Limits, Sunbonnet Pass, etc, etc.

As part of the effort to fight this closure, there is going to be an online rally to give people the chance to show that they use the area, talk about how we use it, how often we use it, how we plan to use it, and how important it is to us or generally how important it is to not lose this access. The rally will be on Pirate4x4.com on Wed, March 12th from 2-6 pm PST. Please post up something during the rally to add to the numbers of people showing support. Here is a link to more detailed info about the rally:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664218

Re: Online rally to show support for not closing the Hammer trails, March 12, 2-6 pm PST

While I personally have never been to the Hammers you can sure bet I'll come up with something meanwhile to post during the rally! I do eventually want to be able to wheel out there!

Re: Online rally to show support for not closing the Hammer trails, March 12, 2-6 pm PST

That sucks, The ranchers are out here in SE Colorado are fighting the same thing with the Army. They are wanting to expand the Pinion Canyon Site, and take ranches that have been in families for multiple generations. They have been fighting for about 2 years now and so far they have stopped it.

I will, with out a doubt, be posting up.

Chris

to many of our trails are being taken i will definetly be there.

The significance of this is huge. Because it's the military, and because it's going to be fairly visible, and because this area is so popular and important to off roaders, there will likely be much more political attention drawn to this particular issue. We have the opportunity to make an impact on politicians showing how large a group we really are. I seriously doubt politicians really understand how many people use this type of area for wheeling, buggying, and riding quads and motorcycles.

We really need to jump on this one full force.

BTT!

Everyone needs to be on top of this. A sticky or thread needs to be put in mod tech.

Goatman said:
In case anyone hasn't heard, there is a very real possiblity that we will lose our favorite Johnson Valley trails. The government is considering expanding the 29 Palms Marine base and the planned expansion would eliminate trails out there that we run regularly, like Sledgehammer, Jackhammer, Wrecking Ball, Outer Limits, Sunbonnet Pass, etc, etc.

As part of the effort to fight this closure, there is going to be an online rally to give people the chance to show that they use the area, talk about how we use it, how often we use it, how we plan to use it, and how important it is to us or generally how important it is to not lose this access. The rally will be on Pirate4x4.com on Wed, March 12th from 2-6 pm PST. Please post up something during the rally to add to the numbers of people showing support. Here is a link to more detailed info about the rally:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664218

PROTECTS.......... FOR, DOES OUR COUNTRY NEED IT??!! IF SO BACK OFF!!!!! A DUMB AZZ MIGHT BE RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELLO PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M A TRUE PATRIOT AS WELL AS ALEX JONES, OHH AND AS WELL AS RON PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!! GO AMERICAN PATRIOTS GO GO GO!!!!!!! :patriot:

Jeepxj94 said:
PROTECTS.......... FOR, DOES OUR COUNTRY NEED IT??!! IF SO BACK OFF!!!!! A DUMB AZZ MIGHT BE RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELLO PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M A TRUE PATRIOT AS WELL AS ALEX JONES, OHH AND AS WELL AS RON PAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!! GO AMERICAN PATRIOTS GO GO GO!!!!!!! :patriot:

:huh:

2:00 pm today, folks.

I see they have posted a link on the Pirate front page that will take you directly to the thread.

Crap!

It won't load for me. Says server timed out.

EDIT: It finally loaded for me.

Last edited:

this is now!

My name is Bryan J Bennett.

Regarding the USMC proposed action to claim some of the BLM land known as Johnson Valley OHV, here are my thoughts.

I support the USMC and its goal of protecting and defending American soil from enemies, foreign and national - and support them in any way possible - including giving up one of my favorite wheeling locations - however, I would ask that any and all other alternatives be heavily considered before the USMC deems the OHV area known as Johnson Valley the solution to their current need.

I am a member of United 4 Wheel Drive Association, Blue Ribbon Coalition, North American XJ Association, and support the ideals of Tread Lightly.

Since 2006, I have been out to Johnson Valley for 7 times, (twice this year, and I live in Sacramento - so the long haul of a drive shows the strong desire to use this land).

One of my favorite trips that I look forward to is the Rockin XJ Jamboree every November, one that my dad and I have attended the past two years, and generally make a week out of the trip.

The first time I went to JV was in June of '06 the first weekend that I met my boss for my summer internship. Id never been wheeling in any area with as much challenge as JV before, and was in for a shock.
Here is a photo from a sacred 19 year old kid in the passenger seat on a trail local wheelers cut into the hills called Claw Hammer -
img_5475.jpg

I went back the next month in July of '06 and had a bunch more fun -
img_5757.jpg

In November of '06, Dad and I met up with approximately 75 other Cherokee drivers for the Rockin XJ Jamboree, and wheeled around for almost 5 days - enjoying spending time in the desert -
img_1034.jpg

Here is a shot of Dad and I at the top of Claw Hammer -
img_1045.jpg

I returned to JV the next summer in July '07 for a night run -
ran sledgehammer -
stp81338.jpg

stp81342.jpg

and returned again in August '07
ran Jackhammer and backdoor -
nr04.jpg

nr12.jpg

stp82005.jpg

and returned again in November, '07 for Rockin XJ 07 -
Met up with another 75 or so Cherokee enthusiasts, my good friend matt and his dad, my dad and I drove down from Sacramento again, and people drove from all over the west to be out there.
stp82287.jpg

stp82362.jpg

I got out there once this year so far - in January, but didn’t get any pictures - went out with my friend's Matt and Chris, ran wrecking ball and Backdoor.

All in all, I really enjoy Johnson Valley, and would love to continue using it if there are at all any other possibilities for the USMC.

:usa:

-Bryan J Bennett
XJ_Ranger

You think you're so special you're sacred?

I threw up a post in support.

Just crazy how quickly our government can take our public land, that is held in trust, and rezone and take it from us. It does not seem right. I have lost faith in much of our government and if they take this land too I don't know if there will be much left.

Back