• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

laser eye surgery

trevanator

NAXJA Forum User
So I thought I would ask some of you guys here dont know if any of you know any places that have good doctors and arent going to rip me off. I am going to be going in and getting a few consultations in a few weekends from now and I would like to have a starting point. I have no idea where to go and the internet may give me a lot of options but I would like a few personal experiences if possible that way I am going to the right place. Any info you guys can give me would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Had mine done in 2001 or so. There's a doctor in Ventura county who did/does some of the pioneering work and helped design the machines in use now. I paid $1500 an eye, went through several pre-op tests (4, I think) to map my eye and make sure what they were doing would optimize my sight.

Being 10 years later, I'm not sure what the going rate is, but if I were doing it again, I would obviously seek out the best possible doctor, even if it was in a completely different city.

My doc's name is Dr. Shapiro. Here's his website: http://shapirolaser.com/index/PageID/2818.html

He's been doing this type of thing since 1992, so almost 20 years of ONLY lasik work.

Honestly, he's the only guy I'd send my family to, and the only recommendation I could feel 100% about. (Serious stuff, to me. You only get one set of eyes...haha!)

Dr. Shapiro huh. Okay I will definitely check him out Thanks for the info and the website at least now I have a starting point haha thanks guys.

I had gnarly astigmatism myself. Maybe if you haven't been evaluated they can help you now.

Yeah, when I got mine done at Shapiro's they were working on a process to allow for surgery even with an astigmatism. I'm sure they've either perfected it or ruled it out by now...

might want to give the phone # in my link above a call, Ted.

Quote from the link:

A new, and even more sophisticated form of laser vision correction surgery was approved by the FDA in 2003: Customized Wavefront LASIK. With Customized Wavefront LASIK, the goal of surgery is no longer to equal the level of correction of glasses or contact lenses, but to attempt actually to exceed it. Using advanced technology, Customized Wavefront LASIK works to not only correct a patient's simple nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism, but to additionally correct complicated shape distortions which are as unique to an individual's eye as one's fingerprint. The most modern forms of customized wavefront laser vision correction represent the ultimate evolution of refractive eye surgery.

Yeah Ted astigmatism is actually one of the things that lasik corrects. I have astigmatisms as well not real bad but that contributes to my bad eyesight and the optemologists have all said that is exactly what laser surgery corrects so I am a perfect candidate. You may very well me too so long as it isnt extreme. I think they say that if your astigmatism is too extreme they dont recommend it or something I was reading up on it last night.

so no bad experiences here? halos, dry eyes? any of that? my left eye sucks but my right isnt too bad. I am considering just my left. When I told shapiro i wanted just one eye, he said you will want to do both, might as well just get them both done.

that was years ago, I chickened out.

KH

my eyes do get a bit dry, but I also push a mouse all day. I simply work in 5-10min rest times (reading hardcopy/paperwork, pee break, stand up and stretch/tidy up desk, etc) per hour, NOT staring at the maps on my screen, and I tend to not have any issues.

No halo's, no nighttime funkyness at all, really.

my eyes do get a bit dry, but I also push a mouse all day. I simply work in 5-10min rest times (reading hardcopy/paperwork, pee break, stand up and stretch/tidy up desk, etc) per hour, NOT staring at the maps on my screen, and I tend to not have any issues.

No halo's, no nighttime funkyness at all, really.

That sounds tolerable to me.

I have a pair of prescription sunglasses and two very expensive pairs of glasses. One pair is getting a bit too scratched and is no longer under warranty. (walmart optical) If I break or scratch this pair bad enough, I will have to either buy two new pairs at almost 700 bucks for the pair or bite the bullet and have the surgery one one eye.

I like transition lenses with anti glare so thats why they cost so much

Hmm..
KH

Been trying to talk my wife into this for 15 years. She spends $700 a year on glasses.

Yeah exactly my issue I am spending every year somewhere around at least 500 bucks on glasses even if laser surgery costs me 3k which is what I am figuring for ill be ahead in a few years. plus I want to be a fighter pilot so i have to have perfect vision so hopefully theyll correct it to 2020 or better

any other doctors that anybody knows of maybe a little closer to me driving out to ventura is quite a ways for me lol maybe a little more locally in orange county?

Back