• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubi axle/wj brakes/Yukon 5x5.5 free spin?

1jmiii

NAXJA Forum User
I have a trussed Rubicon hybrid Dana 44/30 axle with WJ brakes and steering. Currently running TJ unit hubs 4x4.5 bolt pattern. Already have good rear axle shafts with dual 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 bolt patterns. Want Yukon 5x5.5 free spin hubs and keep the WJ brakes. Driveline wear and tear and vibrations are my main concerns. I have done enough reading to learn that there are references to three possible ways of putting ??? rotors on that work with Yukon hubs and WJ knuckles/calipers; all methods are difficult/expensive/compromised. I am willing to consider custom machined rotors (I will carry a spare) if necessary and/or do one time machine mods to more durable parts to make this work. At least several people have done this different ways repeatedly. I hope to make use of your 20/20 hindsight and do it only once to get the best combination of steering/brakes/free spin hubs in the least onerous way. Cheapest (while a consideration) is not the main concern; best end results are paramount.
Related trivia: I will replace my RCV CVJ44 axles with RCV CVJ44-SPIN axles. I run skinny 35" MT/R tires with custom TNT suspension. New narrow 18" 5x5.5 wheels with a bigger than 4.130" pilot bore are a problem, working on it. I am not a rock crawler, rather go around than over. I do explore remote NV/UT deserts alone further than I can walk from help. Reliability is paramount! Consider the WJ brakes an improvement but insufficient for lock-em-up panic stops. Will be installing Vanco hydroboost when/if my parts come. I apologize, you folks would not like my vehicle, but this is where I have found knowledge about Yukon 5.5 hubs and WJ brakes.

Back