• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 experts, need advice

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I want to move my trans cooler to the roof. I haven't worked out routing of the coolant lines yet.

My question is; Will the pump push the fluid up another 4' to the roof. Bad idea?

I have read that the AW4 pumps at about 50psi.

I'm out of ideas on finding cool air for a cooler. If I put it in the grill, my engine runs hot but the trans runs cool, take it out, the engine runs cool but I cant find a suitable place for trans cooler.

My plan is to try a 2' Derale finned cooler on the roof mounted inside of my roof sliders for protection. If the finned cooler helps, I will then go to a fan forced derale unit. I will test this whole thing first before cutting the jeep up by running the hoses through the drain holes in the floorboard and out a window to the roof.

Just remember:
If it's stupid and works, it ain't stupid

It isn't stupid until you get burned by hot fluids in the cabin! That's how one of friends got burned in a "super-mod" race car. It didn't seem bad until it soaked thru the firesuit!

It isn't stupid until you get burned by hot fluids in the cabin! That's how one of friends got burned in a "super-mod" race car. It didn't seem bad until it soaked thru the firesuit!

Good point but my plan is to come out of the cowl and up the outside of the A pillar on the pass side. I'm using parker push lock, which is tough stuff that I use on my job daily in construction and industrial equipment.

The ideal place to mount it would be in front of the winch on the brush guard but I'm worried someone, mainly a kid, would burn their hand on it.

Internal temp of an auto trans will exceed 350 degrees. The best thing you can do is divorce the trans from the radiator.
Yes, race trucks mount their on the roll bar all the time.......your trans will move the fluid.

If you are not using an active cooler, you're probably wasting your time.
You can always hard pipe at the C-pillar if you want to go through the cabin.

Mine is working ok on the grill (left side). I got the an 6 adapter and put a gauge at the tranny output, runs through a spin on filter adapter, then into the external cooler, then into the factory cooler (now it's actually a warmer) and back to the trans. It was my hope in doing all of this that the flow through the factory cooler in the radiator would offset the higher temp air by taking some heat out of the water on it's way back to the trans in addition to keeping the trans from running too cool.
I completely overhauled the engine cooling system and tied all of this in last week except the trans temp gauge still needs wiring. New stock radiator, all new hoses, new water pump and thermostat, new zj fan clutch. I have had this xj almost 6 years now and it's always been a battle here in the hot southwest to keep her cool. My AC blows sweet cold and it gets used probably 10months a year.
Rides just below the mid way 210 mark now and has only touched it once when stop and go was mostly stopped on the way home through town friday.

Thanks to all the replies. I've decided to mount it out front on the brush guard above the winch.

I deleted the radiator cooler on all 4 of my XJs and MJ back in the early 2000's. Not needed here in the mountains of VA. Coolest it gets here is 10* or so. Heat and humidity is a bigger concern.

I decided against a roof cooler for now due to the possibility of hot fluid running down into my passenger. I am a little worried about someone laying their hand onto a hot cooler on the brush guard during breaks on a trail ride. I will address that with some expanded steel

I would post pics when I finish today but I dont know how to host pics anymore since photobucket is gone

Thanks to all the replies. I've decided to mount it out front on the brush guard above the winch.

I deleted the radiator cooler on all 4 of my XJs and MJ back in the early 2000's. Not needed here in the mountains of VA. Coolest it gets here is 10* or so. Heat and humidity is a bigger concern.

I decided against a roof cooler for now due to the possibility of hot fluid running down into my passenger. I am a little worried about someone laying their hand onto a hot cooler on the brush guard during breaks on a trail ride. I will address that with some expanded steel

I would post pics when I finish today but I dont know how to host pics anymore since photobucket is gone

Imgur works great.

I run a 22,000 GVW trans cooler in front of the radiator in front of the mechanical fan <-- Key item. I also no longer use the one in the coolant radiator. I have only a 1/4 foam spacer between the two radiator and every thing works great. Not that i ever had problems before but coming from a transmission rebuilding family its always been peace of mind to keep things as cool as i can.

Im from the Northeast so temps up here are not super hot but wheeling in mid to upper 90s is a norm for parts of the summer.

Note: This is NOT a winter rig.

Back