• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 99 trans into 93 jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Before I'm told to search...I have but still have some questions.

We are putting a 99 AW4 into a 93 XJ.

I know the wiring for the NSS has to be cut and spliced. I also know the VSS now has an ISS and an OSS with 4 pulse per rev vs the older 1 pulse per rev. I read where you can make a new circuit for the VSS OR remove the tail housing and remove the 4 pulse rotor and put the 1 pulse rotor on.

My question is...if I remove the 93 VSS (which is OSS only) and put it in the rear port on the 99 trans...AND also replace the 99 4 pulse rotor with an older 1 pulse rotor...do I just leave the ISS out of the loop?

ALSO...can I replace the 99 NSS with the 93 NSS...I know it should be a bolt on swap and then I won't need to cut and splice the harnesses but will it function that way?

You can just swap the NSS, yes. In fact that's what I recommend.

As for the OSS - you keep interchanging it and the VSS terminology wise. The 97 down and 98 up OSS have different diameter bodies at the spot where they seal to the transmission tailhousing, so you can't just swap the OSS and rotor, you have to swap the housing too sadly. Other than that, yes it's as simple as you are thinking, though I seem to recall the snapring grooves in the 97 down and 98 up output shafts being slightly different and having a hard time getting the 97 down rotor to stay in the right spot when I tried it years ago. I haven't put that info in the AW4 thread because, well, I'm not 100% sure of it and don't want to get people's hopes up, but others have said it works fine somehow.

As for the ISS, yeah, just leave it installed to hold the fluid in the trans and don't plug anything into it.

I'll have to play with the tail housing swap vs wiring the circuit. I think I have an older AW4 to use for parts.

Thanks for the reply. Hope to have this rig running soon.

Alright. Made progress this weekend but won't know the final results for a couple more weeks.

Pulled the tail housing, VSS rotor and VSS from pre-98 AW4 and installed them on the 99 AW4. The 99 VSS in the tail is a shorter sensor with a "tip" and it reads the 4 prong rotor. The 99 tail shaft has 2 "slots" for a snap ring. I pushed the older rotor all the way on to the shaft and then had to use the 2nd slot for the ring. The older VSS is longer and appears to read from the rotor going past the sensor body vs the 99 where it read on the tip of the sensor. The old rotor fit the 99 tail shaft perfectly ...there is a tiny woodruff type key that is imperative to not lose. and now the VSS will plug in to the Jeeps 93 harnes without cutting/splicing. .
We also swapped the NSS from a 93 trans in place of the 99 NSS so that will plug into the 93 harness.

My question is on the solenoids. The wiring for the 99 solenoids are all 3 the same color as the 3 wires for the. 93. Based on googling wiring diagrams it appears the same color wire goes to its respective solenoid for either year.
Can anyone double confirm this?

Yes. The two shift solenoids and converter lockup solenoid are in the same places and should go to the same color code wires on either year range.

Back