• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Getting ready to weld me some coil buckets back in place of these glorified air shocks ... The two in the read are used the fronts were bought new . I recall the fronts during the initial install would not go beyond 10-12 inches on extension until I bled the lowers of a little oil...I called tech staff on that since I thought it off they only went out that far . At the time they were two months old , so I finished the front and while doimg the rear I noticed they appeared to lock up and would not extend when truck was lifted from the body .

Anywho my issue is I charge them up as per the ori fill procedure and after flexing it out for a few minutes it will sit lower on the driver side and if I drive it around it will slowly start to list to the driver side until I'm at near full extension on the driver side ... I don't really want the trouble shooting game here with possible mysterious onternal seal leaks, so I'm either ditching these for standard coils and bypass shocks or a set of 2.5 coil overs . I will most likely send these into ori to see if there is an internal issue with any of the 4 ...if they find issue I may run them and if they f-up in less than a year ...boom... they're gone .

When I gets home next time off I'll be welding some tube between the frame and axles so I can pull all 4 of my struts and send them in for a go through . Two are under warranty Two are not and I should have sent those in when I was still working on the front since they were bought used . The customer service for ori is really good , But if the struts are going to be difficult to keep working properly I will option for coil springs either 2.5 coil overs or a nice high end shock and separate coil I can use all the mounting I built for the struts for coilovers simply by using a different misalignment spacer and if using a basic coil the ori towers would easily be converted to coil tower and pads with plenty of beef to not band like the old stock towers... lol... I like the bling factor of ORI struts but I am leaning towards the reliability of a coil .

20190908_171817.jpg

I forgot to put a stand under the corner of my trailer...lol...now I need to straighten it out a bit I did This once before it just too a jack up on the corner when loaded ... I'm thinking ofvwhatvwould happen to the typical PJ hauler if big births put her leg up the corner like this..;-)

Well possibly may have spoken too soon for my struts... what I thought was sticking struts was most likely poor tuning based on the idea of where light weight rigs that don't have more steel in then than Pueblo Colorado. I was running 90 psi on the lowers and filling the uppers to ride height ... I decided to try adding around 200 with 6 inches of shiny showing which is not going to be 200 since the chamber volume is less like that so it's less than the 200 but far more than the 90-100 Most get away with ...then put a few pounds on top and it's good to go again . I figure I may still add a away bar for added tuning ability due to my weight .

O-parently the sweet new obstacle at wheeler lake is one that has been there for awhile but is not supposed to be ...lol... so you folks will not be getting Z- video posted as I planned . FWIW I got to see how a maxxis sticky stacks up against my buddies 42 tsl and a few other rubbers... I Will never buy a non sticky tire again for a dedicated rock crawler... it's like having lockers vs being open. If I can manage cleavland rock before snow falls this year I should have a on trail victory I can actually post.

The Colorado BS thread

O-parently the sweet new obstacle at wheeler lake is one that has been there for awhile but is not supposed to be ...lol... so you folks will not be getting Z- video posted as I planned . FWIW I got to see how a maxxis sticky stacks up against my buddies 42 tsl and a few other rubbers... I Will never buy a non sticky tire again for a dedicated rock crawler... it's like having lockers vs being open. If I can manage cleavland rock before snow falls this year I should have a on trail victory I can actually post.

Yeah it used to be blocked by trees and brush but has been opened up. It’s a weird thing. Doesn’t go over any vegetation (the stuff in way is no longer there) is all on rock and drops you right on the rocks as well. So hard to say what’s legit and what’s not. That obstacle has been there since last year. It really started getting used this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Colorado BS thread

Finally trapped ash for life. Hahah. Mr mike castle and his wife are out and did the photos. Did a killer job too.
9315595438a69e17c64ba4bff793795d.jpg

The Colorado BS thread

Is anyone headed up to check out the new section of carnage.

Yeah it used to be blocked by trees and brush but has been opened up. It’s a weird thing. Doesn’t go over any vegetation (the stuff in way is no longer there) is all on rock and drops you right on the rocks as well. So hard to say what’s legit and what’s not. That obstacle has been there since last year. It really started getting used this year.

Yeah my buddy who is pretty responsible with staying where you're supposed to said it looked legit ... but the guy at mallcrawlin (dave) claims it's not , but Dave is the kind of corn hole that pretty much claims anything off trail that his pretty stock ZJ on 35s won't climb . Like you pointed out it's all bare rock and dumps out up on top of a huge bare rock area . Those damn stickys never spun a lug and between the 120 wb and struts there was zero unloading ... I'm never going to be able to go back to DOT rubber after these treps .

I'm going to check out carnage probably in two weeks I just need to do some basic rerouting of trans and steering lines and hook up the new shifter and trans controller ...top off the diffs go see what's new . I will probably do cleavland rock first since carnage is open pretty much all year but I only got a couple weeks to claim my rights to the rock

Congrats Mike and Ash! Looks like you had a beautiful day at a beautiful venue!

Mike Castle did the photos huh? That's a name I've not heard in a while.

^^^^^^^
What they said!

Congrats.

Congrats, Mike and Ash!

The Colorado BS thread

Thanks guys. Yeah mike and his lady are doing photography stuff now and doing a damn good job at it.

Lol... be ordering my 3rd nitrogen regulator. This one did not fail I bumped into it with my tire and the tank fell over shearing it off at tank connection...lol... quite the show of dust and debris as the tank let loose .

Back