• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modification and new vehicle warrenty ????

Danno

NAXJA Forum User
my friend is buying a new LJ Rubicon and wants to put a Rubicon 4.5" Superflex lift on it. His question is to whether or not that will void the factory warrenty. It's my understanding that it doesn't, only to the parts that have been replaced with the lift kit. Comments please!!!

Danno said:
my friend is buying a new LJ Rubicon and wants to put a Rubicon 4.5" Superflex lift on it. His question is to whether or not that will void the factory warrenty. It's my understanding that it doesn't, only to the parts that have been replaced with the lift kit. Comments please!!!

Sounds about right to me. Only the suspension warranty would be void. Some dealers are different, but most abide by that rule.

Magnusson-Moss Act. The only part of the warranty that will be voided will be the parts directly affected by the mods.

For instance, if your buddy has a burned valive problem, legally, they can't blame it on the lift unless they can prove a direct causal relationship.

Also, check with the lift manufacturer.

The large Jeep dealer in Indianapolis, has a contract with Skyjacker and Jeep to install aftermarket suspension components and not void any part of the warranty.

Of course they have to do the work.

May be worth looking into.

Technically, only the parts that were replaced or affected by the replacement of those parts will the warranty be voided, no matter who installs them. If a certified shop has them installed then the replaced parts should be coverd by their warranty, or if you get the dealer to do the work, they usually offer some short term warranty on workmanship/parts.

But, what really happens is the dealer (or any repair shop that accepts warranties) takes a lifted Jeep and says you abused it. Sometimes the warranty company (factory or otherwise) will call the shots as to whether the service is warrantied and you might start arguing with the wrong people. Just be ready to fight your battles (respectfully and intelligently - belligerence gets you no where) if need be.

-Marisha

For the sake of not starting a flame war, or turning this thread into a dealer bashing session, how about we just answer Danno's question. No hard feelings, but I can see everyone's-friends-stories going bad places really fast.

Start a different thread if you want to go there.

-Marisha

Back