• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker Sub Frame Modification

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Alright, I've had this thing for a little while now. Decided to pay some more attention to it. I've have decided that I am not satisfied with the replacement crossmember. It is offset from the tranny mount instead of directly under it. I think this places some unecessary leverage on the side mounts. One side is slightly tweaked, I imagine from this very thing. Also it is offset to the front, leaving virtually no protection for the tcase and less then the tranny is used to. What I'd to do is bring the crossmember back under the mount and make it a bit more durable. 3 Options come to mind on this. 1 - Modifiy the existing crossmember. 2 - Come up with something from scratch. 3 - Try and weld in a Clayton LA crossmemer.

So far I like the 3rd option the best. Since the Clayton LAs mount in pretty much the same exact line that the sub frame sits, I see this as the best solution. The crossmember should fit right between the sub frame. All that it would take is lopping off the LA mounts and welding those small flanges flush to the side of the subframe. The crossmember would then still me removeable as Clayton intended it. Moves it back under the tranny mount and adds considerable beef to the setup. Thoughts? Suggestions? Any reason this wouldn't/shouldn't work?

"Stock" Sub Frame

P7090003.jpg

Clayton Crossmember

claytonla009.jpg

awesome...go for it...i want to do something similar, but i dont know if i should keep waiting for a skyjacker lift to show up in the classifieds or make my own

Back