• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems with XP Home...missing programs

KY Chris

NAXJA Forum User
One of my computers is screwing up all of the sudden.
HP pavillion, Windows 2K Home edition
All of the program icons on my desk top are not responding when I click on them. Some of them can be accessed by right clicking and opening (Lotus notes, etc.) But others, like IE won't open at all (I get part of the home page then, a not responding message). The start up menu links don't open either when I click on them. Under Start , when I click on Programs, it actually says "<empty>" and shows no programs. This is my work computer on a VPN. I am not the administrator, therefore, I can't try logging in under another user, I don't think. I have rights to install programs, etc, but I don't think I am listed as the admin. I checked under my user profile and all of the start up programs were missing. I copied them from an other user shown on the machine (our IT guy) and put them in my folder, but that still didn't make them show up in my start up menu. Any ideas?
My home office is in LA, so I can't get intouch with any of them until tomorrow afternoon. I really don't want to have to ship the machine back to Cali, either.

Is there a way I can renew my user profile and transfer my files? I ran Norton Corp Ed. with the newest def files and found no viruses. This really just sort of started today.
Sucks.

KY Chris said:
One of my computers is screwing up all of the sudden.
HP pavillion, Windows 2K Home edition
All of the program icons on my desk top are not responding when I click on them. Some of them can be accessed by right clicking and opening (Lotus notes, etc.) But others, like IE won't open at all (I get part of the home page then, a not responding message). The start up menu links don't open either when I click on them. Under Start , when I click on Programs, it actually says "<empty>" and shows no programs. This is my work computer on a VPN. I am not the administrator, therefore, I can't try logging in under another user, I don't think. I have rights to install programs, etc, but I don't think I am listed as the admin. I checked under my user profile and all of the start up programs were missing. I copied them from an other user shown on the machine (our IT guy) and put them in my folder, but that still didn't make them show up in my start up menu. Any ideas?
My home office is in LA, so I can't get intouch with any of them until tomorrow afternoon. I really don't want to have to ship the machine back to Cali, either.

Is there a way I can renew my user profile and transfer my files? I ran Norton Corp Ed. with the newest def files and found no viruses. This really just sort of started today.
Sucks.

You sure you did not interupt an update or upgrade the sysadmin was maybe doing from calif.
Other option is to use the go back function and take you machine back a day.

RichP said:
You sure you did not interupt an update or upgrade the sysadmin was maybe doing from calif.
Other option is to use the go back function and take you machine back a day.

Hey that is totally possible. How do I take the machine back a day?

I'm confused. You state in the title that it is XP home and in the body you say Win2K. Which is it?

If you can get it to work, I would download one of the adware blockers/cleaners. I have seen more problems with adware than just about anything. They have gotten worse than viruses.

I can work around every program except IE, so I can't get to the internet. I even tried browsing using Lotus notes and I get nothing. I could have sworn I had spybot search and destroy on there, but apparently not.

Did the XP come with the set up ?
Do you have a set of discs Op sys,drivers,etc.
You may need to do a System Restore using a disc.

Back