• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle assm. and u joint

Peacefrog53

NAXJA Forum User
I broke my driver side u joint the other day. Yet had to drive it home...so I screwed up the whole axle. I have a D30HP w/ disco and am wondering if I should just buy new axle's or get em from the JY. No matter what i'm getting Chromo u-joints and the master overhaul kit, but I cant afford chromo shafts at the moment. So should I just save some cash and get JY axles, or buy new stock axles? The re-gear and lockers are coming up in a year or so I hope, so this will be interrum. What do you guys think?

I broke my driver side u joint the other day. Yet had to drive it home...so I screwed up the whole axle. I have a D30HP w/ disco and am wondering if I should just buy new axle's or get em from the JY. No matter what i'm getting Chromo u-joints and the master overhaul kit, but I cant afford chromo shafts at the moment. So should I just save some cash and get JY axles, or buy new stock axles? The re-gear and lockers are coming up in a year or so I hope, so this will be interrum. What do you guys think?

WTF? You drove it home???

Are you aware that the knuckle could have come off and hurt or even killed someone.

No I was not. Last I checked the knuckle was held on to the ball joints with castle nuts, and the hub itself bolted into the knuckle?? Haven't taken any of it apart yet, but thats what it looks like.

I'm sure I'll learn a little more once I get it off. But I was only creepin along at like 15mph. Going 5 miles to my house. I didn't see a point to have it towed 20 min away.

Sorry, but you guys make everything so dramatic. I guess worst case scenario is that i'm driving and the tire rolls into the one other lane and causes someone to crash. Leaving me with three tires and possibly killing someone. THAT would be horrible I agree. But like I said...barely above idle with no one really on the road driving 5 miles didn't seem too bad at the time. I guess i'll cough up the $75 next time for a tow. :puke: And no I do not have AAA YET. Signing up today.

ANYWAYS, i'm looking for suggestions for the axle, not counceling. :looney:

No I was not. Last I checked the knuckle was held on to the ball joints with castle nuts, and the hub itself bolted into the knuckle?? Haven't taken any of it apart yet, but thats what it looks like.

you are correct but in some cases, depending on how and where the axle breaks, the broken ears and ujoint can be jammed up in a way as to rip the ball joints apart causing the knuckle to fall off. not saying it was going to happen to you, but it can.

but i would just hit the JY and grab some shafts from a 95+ XJ or any XJ that had ABS. theyll have the larger 297x ujoints.

Broken u-joints and damaged shafts when spinning usually cause the ball joints to pull out.

It has happened to many around here.

As you can see the 'almighty' castle nuts you are referring to are useless.

lancemistake.jpg

ANYWAYS, i'm looking for suggestions for the axle, not counceling. :looney:

Stupid moves always deserve counceling. How else are you going to learn?

If you want a suggestion on how to fix.....the junk yard :doh:

Any tj yj xj will fit. High or low pinion.

Ok well lesson learned. Any tj yj xj will fit. High or low pinion....Going to the JY.

I've never seen or heard of that happening. But now... I'm a AAA member. So it won't be happening to me... :laugh3:

I'm not paying for this little couseling session. Just so you know.... Maybe I'll throw you some saltines or something... :cheers:

Ok well lesson learned. Any tj yj xj will fit. High or low pinion....Going to the JY.

I've never seen or heard of that happening. But now... I'm a AAA member. So it won't be happening to me... :laugh3:

I'm not paying for this little couseling session. Just so you know.... Maybe I'll throw you some saltines or something... :cheers:

Almost all NAXJA members accept beer for payment.

If that ever happens again, remove the u-joint and inner shaft, stick the stub shaft back in and you can drive it without inflicting further damage.

If that ever happens again, remove the u-joint and inner shaft, stick the stub shaft back in and you can drive it without inflicting further damage.

Within Reason...

I would not say you would want to drive it more then 10mph for more then 10 miles max. There will be a huge hole in the side of the diff where most all of the diff oil will escape. If I had a quality locker/diff setup or AAA I would never remove the inner axle and drive further then say a mile to get off the trailer and very slow at that. without oil in the diff or say more then about 2 cups, which might stay, the carrier bearings and pinion bearing as well as the ring gear all get to start dry spinning and thats really bad for all the above.

Within Reason...

I would not say you would want to drive it more then 10mph for more then 10 miles max. There will be a huge hole in the side of the diff where most all of the diff oil will escape. If I had a quality locker/diff setup or AAA I would never remove the inner axle and drive further then say a mile to get off the trailer and very slow at that. without oil in the diff or say more then about 2 cups, which might stay, the carrier bearings and pinion bearing as well as the ring gear all get to start dry spinning and thats really bad for all the above.

So ideally one should pull the front driveline and the opposite shafts while leaving a stub shaft in BOTH unit bearings should one want to travel far or at normal speed after a failure like that.

Back