• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed reads about 2 times the actual speed!

veedubshafer

NAXJA Forum User
I bought this other XJ yesterday (89, 4.0, AW4, 242) and the speedo makes noise then today it was grinding and now it reads approx. 2 times the speed that you are really going. I was wondering if there was anyone knows of a way to repair this or should I just grab a cluster out of the junk yard or is it the cable? Thanks for looking.

really your only options are to try and lube cable or replace it. by the sound of how bad yours is i would just simply replace it. there wont be any electrical problems to trace or anything.

I have seen cable driven rpm gauges that have read 3000 at idle. same principal. .02

Old farmer told me that the cable splitting in the casing will bind up and then release imparting a faster speed to the cable driven tach on his tractor.

Of course, he was telling me this as he followed a nervous acting sheep into the barn.

Originally Posted by winterbeater
You're sure it's not in kilometers?
Are you sure you read the original post?
Original post = I bought this other XJ yesterday (89, 4.0, AW4, 242) and the speedo makes noise then today it was grinding and now it reads approx. 2 times the speed that you are really going. I was wondering if there was anyone knows of a way to repair this or should I just grab a cluster out of the junk yard or is it the cable? Thanks for looking.

So are you sure that the speedo isn't metric? I did read the original post and did not see any indication of this. Did I miss that this time too? 62MPH = 100KPH :explosion

Originally Posted by winterbeater
You're sure it's not in kilometers?

Original post = I bought this other XJ yesterday (89, 4.0, AW4, 242) and the speedo makes noise then today it was grinding and now it reads approx. 2 times the speed that you are really going. I was wondering if there was anyone knows of a way to repair this or should I just grab a cluster out of the junk yard or is it the cable? Thanks for looking.

So are you sure that the speedo isn't metric? I did read the original post and did not see any indication of this. Did I miss that this time too? 62MPH = 100KPH :explosion

yes, you missed it again - notice how I am implying that it was reading ok NOW it is reading about 2x the speed

My 88 started reading fast about two months ago. It would read 85 when I was doing 50. Now here’s the kicker it would do it intermittently, most of the time is in the afternoon when it’ warm, say 60 to 70.
I can see a cable causing the needle to bounce, but to stay high I don’t get.
If I remember correctly the cable spins a magnet behind the Speedo needle and the magnetic field drags the needle up. I’m thinking there is an acumination of trail dust in my Speedo. I have not had time to dig in to this issue yet.
I any one figures this out post up the repair please.

its all good - yeah, i'm not sure about this since its wierd because there is a grinding type noise coming from behind the cluster...other wierd part is even though the speed is going really fast the odometer SEEMS to be racing up the miles correctly

Back