• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone doing a prerun?

I will be at the campground sometime very early Thursday morning. I would also like to wheel Thursday. Sounds like a good idea.

Kim.

0313 said:
Why would you need to pre run that place?

to make an 8 hour drive 1/4 the way across the country worthwile...

I plan on running all day friday, saturday, and 1/2 day sunday - or untill my shit breaks and my CC maxes out whichever comes first.

0313 said:

It's not always "as dry as a popcorn fart."

:laugh3:

0313 said:
There are a couple of good reasons why the "trails" at Badlands need to be pre-ran. Dirk, Ranger, and Randy touched on them, but for more detail:

• The weather in Indiana in February and March is very unpredictable. The ground can be anywhere from frozen to very muddy. Trees fall and gullies wash out making the trails more or less difficult if not blocking them entirely. Their current conditions need to be assessed in order to determine what equipment should be made mandatory the day of the event.

• The trails are not very well marked. There are quad trails that cross the truck trails making it difficult to stay on them. The owners also change them from time to time. We pre-run them so, the day of the event, the trail leaders have an idea where the trails are at.

We do all this to try and make the event as organized as possible. Besides ... what the hell else we gonna do while we are there getting things ready. :dunno:

Les

Dirk Pitt said:
It's not always "as dry as a popcorn fart."

I'd forgotten about that.
Good times...

What is the so called White trail like? I haven't been to the Badlands in like 3 years and probably ran it maybe, but forget. Ran green mostly and the old orange a few times. Hoping to make this one maybe...

IndyXJ said:
What is the so called White trail like? I haven't been to the Badlands in like 3 years and probably ran it maybe, but forget. Ran green mostly and the old orange a few times. Hoping to make this one maybe...
During Winterfest (in the late winter/early spring) the White trail starts out running through mud with a few holes with water/mud mix. You wind back through the woods and eventually drop into a "holler" (as us hicks call 'em) that has some tight turns and some off camber stuff. You drive up out of the "holler" and get back into mud and some water holes and cross over to the creek. You drop over a steep hill, cross the creek and climb another steep hill that can be a bit tricky if you don't have MT's. You drop back into the creek and run it until you get to the tubes. Those that are daring enough can go through them, but it's a big gamble as to how deep the hole (water) is at the other end. Most cross over the top and back down to the creek. This run of the creek can be fun because some have been known to speed through it. Again, it can be a gamble if you do not have your ignition waterproofed well. You eventually climb a steep hill out of the creek. White ends by running the sand dunes back.

Sorry about the windy synopsis ... White is a considered a moderate trail. HTH ...

Les

LBEXJ said:
During Winterfest (in the late winter/early spring) the White trail starts out running through mud with a few holes with water/mud mix. You wind back through the woods and eventually drop into a "holler" (as us hicks call 'em) that has some tight turns and some off camber stuff. You drive up out of the "holler" and get back into mud and some water holes and cross over to the creek. You drop over a steep hill, cross the creek and climb another steep hill that can be a bit tricky if you don't have MT's. You drop back into the creek and run it until you get to the tubes. Those that are daring enough can go through them, but it's a big gamble as to how deep the hole (water) is at the other end. Most cross over the top and back down to the creek. This run of the creek can be fun because some have been known to speed through it. Again, it can be a gamble if you do not have your ignition waterproofed well. You eventually climb a steep hill out of the creek. White ends by running the sand dunes back.

Sorry about the windy synopsis ... White is a considered a moderate trail. HTH ...

Les
You need to wheel other places more often.......

Okie Terry said:
You need to wheel other places more often.......
Hell ... Badlands is only 35-40 minutes away. Actually, I've only been there 4 -5 times this year.

Plan on wheelin' other places outside the Midwest ... probably like I did last year. I really want to get down to Kentucky since it's only 1/2 a state away.

You gonna host Sweatfest again next July. You better .. ya (edited for purity)! :D

Les

Last edited:
We'll figure something out.
Like December.
If we'd have done it the last three weeks, we'd have wheeled in 70 and 80 temps.

Fore Wheeler said:
to meet with good friends and drink better beer.

that's why.
The best reason's of all. JIM.

Back