• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hear Ye, Hear Ye.....

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
........Mark you calendars as the Crawl has a new home. The SEC BOD have met, discussed and decided and made a decision.

The Cherokee Crawl will be held on July 1-4, 2011 and The Black Mountain Off Road Adventure Area in Harlan, KY is the official home of the Cherokee Crawl.

Friday: general playday
Saturday: lead rides
Sunday: lead rides
Monday: recover and return home

Please come join us for another great year at the Crawl!

party1:party1:party1:

........Mark you calendars as the Crawl has a new home. The SEC BOD have met, discussed and decided and made a decision.

The Cherokee Crawl will be held on July 1-4, 2011 and The Black Mountain Off Road Adventure Area in Harlan, KY is the official home of the Cherokee Crawl.

Friday: general playday
Saturday: lead rides
Sunday: lead rides
Monday: recover and return home

Please come join us for another great year at the Crawl!

party1:party1:party1:

Wooooooooooooooo! Thats awesome Ed! I will see you then! :party::party::party:

Consider the Empire Offroad crew already there.

x2!

if the SEC guys need any help with it ill volunteer and im sure the rest of my crew will as well

Good choice! Now lets make this one bigger than ever..

Good place to ride as well as the time to do so but I gotta say it... This is where I have to think about the SEC and what it has become. I miss the days where the people had a chance to decide where they wanted to ride, not a dictation. Has the BOD thought about the fact that while bringing the MWC closer, they have all but alienated the members of the SEC that would prefer to ride in the SEC? While the '09 Crawl had fewer attendees than the '10, it was a true SEC ride. Do you expect members of this region to leave, especially from the southern states, to go ride out of the SEC? I know it sucks to jump events from place to place but That has to happen sometimes. I might be completely in the wrong here and It's probably only going to be seen by the attendees from the '10 Crawl instead of the members of the SEC but I think this is a poor decision on behalf of the SEC BOD. I'm sure the older members have seen a change in the operations of the BOD and this kind of stuff is the main reason that I will NOT be renewing my previous 2year membership with NAXJA. I cannot stand behind a BOD that I feel is not looking out for the SEC's best interest.

Last edited:
AGAIN, not saying I have anything against Harlan or the MWC. I think a ride there is a great idea, just not the Crawl.

Good place to ride as well as the time to do so but I gotta say it... This is where I have to think about the SEC and what it has become. I miss the days where the people had a chance to decide where they wanted to ride, not a dictation. Has the BOD thought about the fact that while bringing the MWC closer, they have all but alienated the members of the SEC that would prefer to ride in the SEC? While the '09 Crawl had fewer attendees than the '10, it was a true SEC ride. Do you expect members of this region to leave, especially from the southern states, to go ride out of the SEC? I know it sucks to jump events from place to place but That has to happen sometimes. I might be completely in the wrong here and It's probably only going to be seen by the attendees from the '10 Crawl instead of the members of the SEC but I think this is a poor decision on behalf of the SEC BOD. I'm sure the older members have seen a change in the operations of the BOD and this kind of stuff is the main reason that I will NOT be renewing my previous 2year membership with NAXJA. I cannot stand behind a BOD that I feel is not looking out for the SEC's best interest.

Winterfest was moved once and it was just not the same from what I hear, that was before I started whoring it up though. Speaking of that when are y'all gonna come wheel with us? :D

As for not renewing because of something like this, I think its just stupid and petty. Wah, you gotta drive a few hours to get there oh well. We have guys who drive 10 hours to WF, EVERY year. and yeah, technically Harlan is in MWC territory by an hour or so. Its far enough south and east that its the closest thing you guys have to Tellico, which I hate to say will probably NEVER get reopened.

Last edited:
Had I been able to make Jeep work, I would have been there but none the less, wasn't supposed to happen.

Had I been able to make Jeep work, I would have been there but none the less, wasn't supposed to happen.

Yeah that sucks, mine always has to be working its my only vehicle so I don't know that pain. Bottom line is that black mountain is awesome and the SEC crew can wheel with me anytime. Luckily our big event is a short 2 hour drive for me. Takes me 5 to get to Harlan.

As for not renewing because of something like this, I think its just stupid and petty. Wah, you gotta drive a few hours to get there oh well.
Drive isn't the issue, I can be at Harlan in 3 hours... drove 6.5 to Alabama the year before. Driving doesn't bother me. What does is the consistant lack of input request from the BOD regarding the SEC.

Your comments are very disappointing, yet not surprising. I had to justify Morris Mountain to you also.

I may hurt your feelings here but it gets frustrating when those who complain offer absolutly no help in planning and making an event work. You are put out, so quit. That's the easy way out. Or you can become part of the solution and help grow the SEC.

I hate to tell people this, but I eat, breathe and live the Crawl for months before it takes place. Mark lives it with me since we often eat lunch together since we work together and we are always brainstorming and trying to make sure everything goes perfect. I'm sure he will agree that I drive him nuts. The BOD spends a lot of time trying to be sure everything will go as it should. The Crawl is the SEC's premier event and it is our chance to showcase some great trails and great riding. Having a great raffle, good meals, great trails, and facilities are all part of making this event happen.

Matt, I hate to tell you this but it wasn't uncommon years ago for there to be lots of people from outside the chapter attending the Crawl. MWC guys have always supported the event.

There are so many factors that play into planning an event that you have no idea about. We asked for volunteers and found no offers. BrianHO13 actually helped the SEC make this a great event and without his help as a trail leader, we would have had some serious struggles. We already have guys wanting to help for the next event. This only improves the Crawl and makes it better for everyone. The SEC learned a lot about the trail system and what we can plan for next year. There will be more smaller rides. We needed a place where everyone can have a great time, not just the super-duper wheeling machines, but stockers and mildly built rigs too.

You know, I really try to do a good job as President of this Chapter. Now if my skills are not up to task, I can be replaced this December when we have elections for the SEC BOD. Replace me if you don't like what I and the BOD have done. We can do polls all day long and get no where. To build an event you have to have a foundation and this BOD decided if we wanted a successful event it needed a home.

For those who attended the Crawl, most if not all had great things to say. It was a great experience and many new friends were made. Names were put to faces. By making this announcement now, it gives people time to save and plan for this event a full year in advance. We want more to come and find out why the Crawl is a fun place to be during the 4th of July weekend.

Your comments are very disappointing, yet not surprising. I had to justify Morris Mountain to you also.
However I showed, just like I showed to Harlan the year before and to Tellico years before that. My complaint wasn't the location as much as it was the DICTATION that this is where we are going to ride instead of the option. If you remember the first crawl you had attended, It was decided by the SEC as a whole to try riding at Harlan.

I may hurt your feelings here but it gets frustrating when those who complain offer absolutly no help in planning and making an event work. You are put out, so quit. That's the easy way out. Or you can become part of the solution and help grow the SEC.
How many times did we have the long drawn out conversations about how to help and improve the SEC? Hell Ed, I was one of the few that brought up you even taking the position of office before elections. I told you I'd give you my opinion wether you like it or not as I have many times. As far as I can see, you are only interested in what gets said in that little BOD forum and nothing from the members you represent.

There are so many factors that play into planning an event that you have no idea about. We asked for volunteers and found no offers. BrianHO13 actually helped the SEC make this a great event and without his help as a trail leader, we would have had some serious struggles. We already have guys wanting to help for the next event. This only improves the Crawl and makes it better for everyone. The SEC learned a lot about the trail system and what we can plan for next year. There will be more smaller rides. We needed a place where everyone can have a great time, not just the super-duper wheeling machines, but stockers and mildly built rigs too.
I have been here much longer than you, I know what goes into these events. I think it's great that Brian was able to be such a big help but I see no reason he wouldn't, Harlan is in his chapter, he should be familiar with riding these places. I don't think you have a clue as to what's available in the SEC to ride as far as parks go. Where is it you have been and had such a bad time that makes you want to journey out of the SEC to host the SEC CHEROKEE CRAWL and why not let the members of the SEC decide where they want to spend their summer vacation wheeling and with friends like so many do?

However I showed, just like I showed to Harlan the year before and to Tellico years before that. My complaint wasn't the location as much as it was the DICTATION that this is where we are going to ride instead of the option. If you remember the first crawl you had attended, It was decided by the SEC as a whole to try riding at Harlan.

How many times did we have the long drawn out conversations about how to help and improve the SEC? Hell Ed, I was one of the few that brought up you even taking the position of office before elections. I told you I'd give you my opinion wether you like it or not as I have many times. As far as I can see, you are only interested in what gets said in that little BOD forum and nothing from the members you represent.

I have been here much longer than you, I know what goes into these events. I think it's great that Brian was able to be such a big help but I see no reason he wouldn't, Harlan is in his chapter, he should be familiar with riding these places. I don't think you have a clue as to what's available in the SEC to ride as far as parks go. Where is it you have been and had such a bad time that makes you want to journey out of the SEC to host the SEC CHEROKEE CRAWL and why not let the members of the SEC decide where they want to spend their summer vacation wheeling and with friends like so many do?

Dictation and direction are two different things. We found that lack of direction and making firm plans is very difficult when dealing with a Chapter of this size. No event will please everyone. We found by selecting locations and dates, that many members worked with those dates and locations and planned accordingly. Members made plans to attend the events that were important to them.

I know you have been around here longer but Ghost has been here from the beginning. He has helped, along with other seasoned members of NAXJA, us figure out the direction we needed to go.

Since you have been here so long, how many events have you actively been a part of planning and coordinating in the SEC? I'm not talking about attending, but actually doing the homework it requires to make an event happen.

As far as Morris Mountain goes. I remember you saying this venue was not acceptable and were on the phone calling other off road parks in Alabama. If Grey Rock had been open, you would have left and tried to take several others with you. In the end, after questioning the BOD's reasoning for choosing Morris Mountain, you stayed and said you had a great time.

I can't please everyone. The SEC is a huge Chapter and finding an off road park that can accomodate ALL members who wish to attend is very important. There are so many factors that play on this and not many parks fit the bill.

Matt, I asked for volunteers and no one responded. I appreciate your comments and hopefully everyone will make the best decision for themselves.

Drive isn't the issue, I can be at Harlan in 3 hours... drove 6.5 to Alabama the year before. Driving doesn't bother me. What does is the consistant lack of input request from the BOD regarding the SEC.

I don't want to turn it into a pissing match man, I like that they made Harlan the permanent home for the crawl. If you don't well then so be it. Can't we all just get along?! :D

Matt I love you man but I think we might have to talk Ghost into giving up the whinebag......... .!.:D.!.

I motion to give KY to the SEC, we all know that's where it belongs anyway.

Last edited:

I may hurt your feelings here but it gets frustrating when those who complain offer absolutely no help in planning and making an event work. You are put out, so quit. That's the easy way out. Or you can become part of the solution and help grow the SEC.

I hate to tell people this, but I eat, breathe and live the Crawl for months before it takes place. Mark lives it with me since we often eat lunch together since we work together and we are always brainstorming and trying to make sure everything goes perfect. I'm sure he will agree that I drive him nuts. The BOD spends a lot of time trying to be sure everything will go as it should. The Crawl is the SEC's premier event and it is our chance to showcase some great trails and great riding. Having a great raffle, good meals, great trails, and facilities are all part of making this event happen.

Matt, I hate to tell you this but it wasn't uncommon years ago for there to be lots of people from outside the chapter attending the Crawl. MWC guys have always supported the event.

You know, I really try to do a good job as President of this Chapter. Now if my skills are not up to task, I can be replaced this December when we have elections for the SEC BOD. Replace me if you don't like what I and the BOD have done. We can do polls all day long and get no where. To build an event you have to have a foundation and this BOD decided if we wanted a successful event it needed a home.

For those who attended the Crawl, most if not all had great things to say. It was a great experience and many new friends were made. Names were put to faces. By making this announcement now, it gives people time to save and plan for this event a full year in advance. We want more to come and find out why the Crawl is a fun place to be during the 4th of July weekend.

Well said. This was my 8th consecutive Crawl. I have wheeled in several places with and without NAXJA all over the SE. The only places I have not hit up are either over priced IMHO or just too far at this time in my life/financial situation. I firmly believe that KY is southern. Tellico was/is the best place in the South to wheel. Of all the places I have been nothing has the facilities and amount of easy/moderate trails as Harlan. I stand behind this decision 100% and know how much is involved in getting all this together. I for one appreciate Ed's leadership and ability to do it and put up with all the BS that goes with this clubs nitpickers. Isn't making decisions like this why we elect a BOD? To represent us and organize the Chapter so that it and the event can grow? Even if we put a thread up it would have been like all the rest. Maybe here maybe there. Ed, Mark and I have spent a lot of time talking about this and other issues. Ed and Mark put together one hell of a raffle this year.

Matt I love you man but I think we might have to talk Ghost into giving up the whinebag......... .!.:D.!.

I motion to give KY to the SEC, we all know that's where it belongs anyway.

LOL! You know where my vote goes. But she do make a nice trail buddy! :eek: :gee:

Back