• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Info- Billings Canyon

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
EDIT: XJBOY

We can't forget about DutchVDubs favorite.

Billings Canyon
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=161

I can try to dig up some pics but I don't have many. This trail is actually fairly moderate on the hardcore end. There are a couple spots near the end that'll prove to be a challenge for anybody running smaller than 37's but in a YJ with a 100" wb we made it through no problem until the exit. The exit would've been cake except we had blown out a hub on 21 Road the day before and only had 3 wheel drive. The exit is basically a big shelf/step you need to crawl over.

This trail is very well organized and has excellently placed/identified winch points at all of the onbstacles. An XJ with 35's and front/rear lockers will make short work ok it but still be challenged, and if you're aggressive and aren't worried about your rockers or rear lower quarters an XJ on 33's could have a really fun day. That being said I wouldn't hit this trail with out front and rear lockers and a winch, especially if running a tire less than 37" tall. If you're not double locked you will be winching at the last to obstacles and there is a good chance you'll be scrapping your belly over the exit. By that I mean pretty much garaunteed.

If I make it down I will have no problem playing lead or tail on this one. It's a fun one and I'll be down there running it he end of June so will have fresh experience with it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Trail Info - Boulder Canyon (Montrose) hard core

Keep in mind that when I say a "fun" day on 33's that I wheel aggressively and don't daily drive my Jeep. I would never have taken my clean 99 XJ on this trail, just my beat down 92. Also, the jeep I ran it in was a YJ with 37" BFG Crawlers, full hydro, locked D60's, 5.13 gears, and a 4:1 Atlas. So it might have been deceptively easy, especially after 21 Road.

My personal recommendation is 35's minimum with at least 1 locker and a winch, also rocker guards and skid plates highly recommended. Unless you wheel like Mike (in4aride) and myself, and have our strange knack for not breaking do not take a rig with 33's on it.

Again, I'll be wheeling this trail at the end of June and will have fresh perspective and pics at that time. I will update accordingly.

Re: Trail Info - Boulder Canyon (Montrose) hard core

What few pics I have from that day:

327.jpg

328.jpg

329.jpg

330.jpg

331.jpg

Back