• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pro comp lift

it depends.

lot of people will give you a bunch of different personal opinions but it really all depends on how you plan to use your rig.

Try searching around you will find a lot of info.

Beaware that ProComp has three ways to give you a 3" lift. I don't know much about the first two ways, but they are definitely not as heavy duty as the 3rd way. I have the heavy duty version. The installation included new front springs, track bar, lower control arms, dropped steering arm and torsion bar disconnects.

The rear included new leaf springs with 1ea "overload" spring added. New shocks all around. I actually wound up with 3 1/2 " of lift front and 4" rear. I carry so much Search and Rescue stuff that the XJ sets pretty much level now. I am very happy with performance in the rough stuff.

I did experience a slight vibration from the rear drive shaft alignment, so I went ahead and installed a Tom Woods SYE and new rear shaft. I also raised the transfer case back to stock position. That took care of the vibration. I do about 100 to 150 miles per day on pavement. Occasionally some of that pavement travel is at 80 to 85 mph when responding to an emergency call. I sure can't fault the road manners of my XJ with this lift.

Last edited:
I had XJ with Pro comp 3" front and Rancho rear springs. I liked the ride of the 3" coils and did not have any trouble with them sagging. This was without a heavy front bumper or winch. I dont' know how they would hold up to extra weight. The first bushing in the lower arms used a rolled tube that the bolt went through. These belled out allot from flex. When I change the bushings out the kit came with new tubes that were thicker and not split which seemed allot better that what came with my kit originaly. The RS3000 shocks road hard but I switched them out for Rancho 9000.

Mine with AAL and no HD track bar (although I did end up getting one not, Pro Comp though) flexes ok, but rides like $hit. I also had a severe case of the rubs in the back (on road too). If I had all to do over again I would have gone RE with new rear springs.

EDIT: I'm running the Pro Comp 3000 series too, for now.

Last edited:
I had the Pro Comp 3 inch lift with new coils and Lower control arms. It had a Track bar relocation bracket and AAL in the rear. I hated the lift. It NEVER fit 31 inch tires even with some minor fender enlargement in the rear. The ride on road was violent and off road it wasn't really any better.

Now for the facts: The Pro Comp track bar relocation bracket requires you to drill your track bar bolt hole out larger. I had trouble keeping mine tight. If you ever want to put on an adjustable track bar, and remove the bracket... you will have to engineer a way to make the hole you drilled out stock size again. The rear AAL suspension sags quickly you will likely sit rear low. Because of the sagging rear and small amount of lift, I never had vibes. So you could look at that as a positive.

I have an RE lift now and the ride on and off road is much better.
HarveOut-

I have a 3" pro comp. I also put a 1.75" shackle, and a 1 3/4" coil spacer on that to make it so i could fit 33 inch tires. I am really surprised how much travel it has. If I had to do it again tho i would go with the rubicon express, for 100 more you get a lot better lift. If you just get the 3" i would do that again.

Bluexj96 said:
thanks for the replys i think iamjust going to go with rustys.

Chris
Might want to search that first. IIRC there have been quite a bit of complaining on the quality of his lifts.

Back