• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifters Noise

Leo Brazil

NAXJA Forum User
Recently, I’ve noticed my 4.0L engine over 2500rpm gives me some noise. It sounds like lifters are not properly adjusted, I mean the push rods and arms….

I’m running with 10W40 semi-synthetic brand new oil and pressure around 15 psi when idle and 45 psi when higher rpm. I’m supposing oil pressure is OK. Temperature always on 212°F.

Considering this engine has 60K miles, is that OK if I just adjust the push rods and arms ? Or do you recommend an extra attention to other components ?

I’ve seen some problems with lifters that just don’t “charge” them selves when I turn the engine on or when the loose their internal pressure when I turn the engine off….but in general I think this happens with higher mileage.

Any tips ?

Thanks.

There is no adjustment.....hydraulic lifters adjust automatically,inturn adjusting the whole valvetrain.The only "adjustment" you can do is make sure the rocker arms are torqued correctly and check to make sure the valve springs are within spec....

If you are having lifter noise its time for lifter replacement,they are not holding a prime....maybe clogged up with gunk or the seals are bad internally.Try running somekind of motor flush through your motor,like marvel mystery oil,before an oil change

Thanks Outlander for your help.

In fact, I realized that I was just wondering if this engine has any typical situation like bended push rods or premature wearing on rocker arms or valve springs.....I know some engines have some bad engineering like these but I never heard about this one...You know....

yup...the 4liter is pretty much bullet proof...knock on wood

most 4.0's are rather noisy.I've driven brand new jeeps that sound like somethings wrong with them

Last edited:
I've heard that certain components of engine oil have been removed in order to meet emmission standards and that it causes excessive wear on the camshaft lobes and lifters. Truth or Bunk ??

That's true....the newer oils have reduced levels of zinc(zddp) which will affect cam life inthese motors.....I myself run rotella diesel oil and a lot of other people around here do the same.

Back