• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying an XJ, help??

play_in_the_mud

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to buy an XJ soon. Never had one but heard awesome things about them. Just curious if anyone has any input on any certain year or model(classic, sport, etc.) Was lookin at something around 99-00. But I'd almost rather an early 90's to pay cash and not have a payment. Def going RE 5.5 longarm and atleast 33's if it helps. Any help/input would be appreciated.

Thanks

BruteXJ said:
I love my '99 Sport. Lotsa parts out there, but I don't need 'em yet. Infinity systen us a plus.

I agree. Based on my limited experiences, a 4.0L and the automatic are your best bet.

Love my current 98 sport with the 4.0. Can't beat it.
Loved my 96 4.0 High Output. Couldn't kill it.
Got down and dirty with my 92 2 door 4.0L Stick shift. Now that Jeep rocked!
If your looking for something that leans more towards power and utility go for a Jeep. If you want luxury ammenities and cushy seats, go get a s-10 blazer (YUCK!) or and Explorer. My girlfriend has an Explorer and I hate it. No power, breaks every other week. Costs me a small fortune in little crap that breaks. Just this weekend the Idler pully fell right off of it as we pulled into my driveway. WTF?

definetly dont want anything cushy, def lookin for an xj, just looking for some suggestions, thought about the high output 4.0 but as i look at them i really like the 99-up better. Thanks guys

any other suggestions are appreciated

play_in_the_mud said:
definetly dont want anything cushy, def lookin for an xj, just looking for some suggestions, thought about the high output 4.0 but as i look at them i really like the 99-up better. Thanks guys

99 has the HO, unless its the 2.5

I was gonna say I thought after the early 90's all the 4.0's were H.O. Somebody on here told me that a while back. Can't remember the year they switched. 92-93 sticks out in my mind for some odd reason.

play_in_the_mud said:

The high output started in 90 I think and a 4.0L i6's were all HO after that. However in 96 and up they changed it. Same torque and hp but max torque was at 3000 rpm's instead of 4000 and that made a big difference. However the engines got noisey at the same time. If you want a toy a 89 or so can be had for under a grand. If you want a little more my 96 4 door auto, power windows mags, power locks was $3000. If you get a 99 and up be prepaired to spend. I saw a 2000 for 6k but it had tons of miles and most at the dealers are around 10k to 12k.

JoBo

Back