• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower motor relay

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
Recently, my 01 has started cranking slow after sitting overnight. The battery is less than two years old.
Yesterday I decided to check the battery cables and grounds, looking to find the cause or to verify the battery is dying.
With the hood open and ignition off, I could hear a slight humming, checking inside, it was coming from blower motor...WTF? Nothing else inside was energized, just the fan.
No wonder the battery was drained overnight.

Verifying the ignition wasn't energized, a session with the FSM schematics show no way for this to happen unless the blower motor relay was stuck. Problem was, where is the relay?
The FSM didn't show the location and I couldn't find it.
Searching several XJ sites, I finally found of mention of it being located behind the glove box. It is a standard Bosch-type relay and, yes, the contacts were stuck closed.
A fresh relay cure the problem. Much cheaper than buying another battery.

I posted this in case someone else in the future is searching for a fix to the same issue..

Last edited:
A faulty blower motor relay melted the relay plug and some wires in my 2000.

A faulty blower motor relay melted the relay plug and some wires in my 2000.

Ask Tim where the blower relay is located on the late XJ's.

My 1996 do not have a blower relay. However, it does exhibit those symptoms you are experiencing. It happens when the key is turned backwards all the way to the accessory position. In this position, the blower runs but the AC compressor is not energized. The troubling part is, the key (I think the cylinder is a bit worn) could be withdrawn in this position leaving the blower and the radio on.

I only have a 1996 manual so I am not much help here.

Back