• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994, how to tell ECM number?

RaptorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1994 XJ with 4.0L 4wd automatic 4spd. Am pretty sure my ECM is bad. I pulled it and I am having a hard time knowing which one I have to order one. I can get a new Chrysler one on a black Friday special for under 300 dollars. These are the part numbers show both for 4.0L and are R6027888 or R6027890.

Only numbers I see on mine is

TDK M 4793

Here is a picture of it if helps anyway, number was found where am pointing with a pen

you don't need to take the ecm apart. That will tell you nothing, as you found out.

The part # is on a sticker on the outside of the case. If it isn't there, it fell off or it's a reman.

The part number can be accessed with a proper scan tool unless the ECU is truly dead.

IIRC the only difference in the '94 ECU part #s is auto or manual trans.

Also, drop the R from the part number and install a 5 in it's place. That will give you the original part #. They do this to designate that it is remanufactured.

Last edited:
Yep, old thread,

But my pre-update XJ PCM doesn't have a sticker on it, and i wanted a spare computer. They aren't getting any younger, and i don't want to be in the middle of bumfluff stuck because my computer fried out.

So i did a search. Found this thread. Guy was looking for his PCM number but couldn't find it, as he label was missing. He was also looking in the wrong spot.

If you peel a bit of the gel back where you can see a decal underneath, as in my pics.. it will reveal your exact computer number. Just an easy search then to find an identical replacement..

Just thought i would post this up for anyone in the same boat. That is folk they are not exactly sure what their computer number is, and want to make sure they get the correct one. If yours is fried, well, peel the rest of the gel back and check for burnt caps and traces. You might even be able to do a quick and easy fix.

y4mMr-kaksJZM3srt5LicxgAaR2d8Lm_Uvt1TU-yemXGVY-NJKgvVI0-pW80H1ihG6A18nOl4sxtSuutJw_XcV48CWHV8g1Zjj4hYmRken3BSw5bmJM6t8o-888_0MjW73d1cM6UOnaK_McYeSNH46HHecCa9PVBT13hGXFhdFZRWyKivVgbWQKw04ATqBtWhlDf4gYXbmcXIZVhSlpR7nvtQ

y4mHj6fixc8rGsMlBaY7oK65NY4opLh_LJF-qfPz24xPm-mmjUa1wKUuJFY-SfUQNnZA2UeeArSWnP0QGI5kaFZx6_z_3M2KRF092_6TjNXiyPZ8nyzJFIZOXhVMtX6KpudsB9GrIu9JvFvzQ4jhwEHZM9WvlMfaEql0i63orG2Za3TcCcTzCbVkeul2dnoqzyAKR6Xvpjlh7RuoG4oh5EUug

Back