• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ring gear reinstall

Lurch

NAXJA Forum User
Background: Dana 30, 27 spline, 4.56 Yukon gears off a '98 XJ.

Installed an Aussie Locker in the carrier. Marked the position of the ring gear on the carrier before removing. When I went to reinstall the ring gear I had the bright idea of shooting it with brake cleaner to clean out the inside of the ring. Of course, this took the positioning mark right off.

Now I have no idea where it was originally on the carrier. How important is it that it be reinstalled in the same position? What are the consequences if it is installed in a different position than when it was taken off? If it is important to be in the same place, how do I fix it?

Yes, I know I f-ed up.

doesn't matter. get some new bolts, loc-tite em and bolt it on.

or be cheap and skip the new bolt part.

gearsets are made in funky ratios so each tooth of the ring gear will equally touch each tooth of the pinion gear so they wear equally (at least thats what the internets told me)

Okay, thanks. If it makes a difference, the R&P are relatively new and have less than 5k miles on them I would say.

Is loctite on the ring gear bolts necessary? There was no evidence of loctite on the bolts when I removed the ring to install the locker. I had a third party install the aftermarket R&P so not sure what they did exactly.

Okay, thanks. If it makes a difference, the R&P are relatively new and have less than 5k miles on them I would say.

Is loctite on the ring gear bolts necessary? There was no evidence of loctite on the bolts when I removed the ring to install the locker. I had a third party install the aftermarket R&P so not sure what they did exactly.

DEFINITELY put some red loctite on those.

You should be able to install the ring gear in any position with no issues. Was the ring gear clearanced for the cross pin? Sometimes it is necessary to grind down a ring gear tooth so the center pin will go into the carrier with the ring gear installed. If it was clearanced then make sure the clearanced tooth is in front of the center pin.

Its a D30 out of a 98 so it should not have the gear interference issue as there are no c-clips that need to be installed to hold in the axle.

Shouldn't matter, unless you have some runout on the carrier. I would run a pattern after install and check the backlash just to be sure.

no locktite huh? Dont go back to that gear guy!

Its a D30 out of a 98 so it should not have the gear interference issue as there are no c-clips that need to be installed to hold in the axle.
Alot of people clearance the ring gear anyway so that you don't have to remove the carrier from the axle housing to remove the ring gear so you can remove the locker for maintenance.

Back