• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sticking Brake Pedal

x47

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Limited with ABS and power brakes. When the Jeep is at operating temperature, i.e. driven for 15 minutes, the brake pedal does not fully retract after the brakes are applied and therefore the brakes and tail lights remain on. The brake pedal does not get 'mushy' even when it doesn't return. I can pull the brake pedal back up, but the same thing occurs each time the pedal is depressed.

When the Jeep is cold, the brake pedal retracts as normal.

The fluid reservoir is full, the wheel cylinders and calipers are not leaking. I tested the brake booster as per the FSM and it passes and I have bled the brakes.

Any idea on what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Jon

Don't know about the newer XJ's but mine had a small spring that helped retract the brake pedal.

a friend had a similar problem with a 87, and he just tucked his foot behind the pedal to fix it... but then again he had more than a few problems with that jeep, like 300,000 miles...

old_man said:
Don't know about the newer XJ's but mine had a small spring that helped retract the brake pedal.

thanks for the replies - where does the spring attach? is it attached to the brake pedal?

I'm curious to hear what might cause this. My 96 does the same thing, only under opposite conditions. When the ambient temp is cold (under 40 deg or so), the pedal doesn't fully return. Once the interior warms up, the pedal works fine. Doesn't occur in the summer since night temps only drop into the 60s here.

I had a Ford Ranger with that problem. It turned out to be a corroded master cylinder that would bind up due to thermal expansion (contraction) when it got cold. New MC fixed it.

The spring connected from the brake pedal to a hole in the cross bracket that runs crosswise just below the gauge cluster.

master cylinder? is the pedal mushy? Maybe the brake booster seeing as the pedal does connect to that? I dont know, just throwing out some ideas.

Dean

the problem disappeared last week after 3 months. Unfortunately, the ABS light is now illuminated on the dash.

This would lead me to believe that something was/is wrong with an ABS component, as now the ABS is non-operational, but the brakes work great - no more sticking.

Can you read ABS codes with a reader from Kragen/Schucks/Autozone?

ok...those with vaccuum assisted abs, usually the push rod gets grimed up and removal and cleaning is required to return the brake pedal to it's normal return function, those without vaccuum assisted abs, check the brake pedal return spring for proper functionality. hope this helps.

Back