• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Force overdrive while in low range?

LF_95_ZJ_v8

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,

My '95 ZJ V8 has been built a bit. One of the modifications is an Atlas 1:4.3 2 speed T case.

When I'm in low range, the gearing is quite honestly a bit too low. In hindsight, I should probably have opted for a 1:3.8, but oh well.

My question is this: Is there a way for me to force the transmission into overdrive while in low range? -That would give me a very much needed extra gear to get from one obstacle.

TIA

What axle ratio and tire size? With 5.38s and 38" tires I also find 4.3 to be too low for many trails. But on 42s its just right..

That said.. I dont recall if my jeep goes into overdrive or not...???

The axles are 1:4.56 and I am on 35's. I'm running the stock dana 30f/35r's but with some significant reinforcements.

I have counted the shifts, and I only get 3 of them while in low. I *think* I need to get above 30 before OD will engage, but I am not sure to be honest.

Better off practicing shifting the atlas back into high range. 30mph in low range is going to really heat up that gear case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better off practicing shifting the atlas back into high range. 30mph in low range is going to really heat up that gear case.

Nah. Its a gear driven 4.3. Totally normal for any speed

Nice.

But insufficient.

More pics needed.

Better late than never:

010f46e7f1dc7eca873dcdaa86f6f08e.jpg

f03dfa84055f2c5f57988493c9b88106.jpg

Back