• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans shift control

Da XJ nut

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Is the PCM or TCM responsible for the electronic shift control in a 93 ZJ with 42RE? I think I have a failure in Electrical component I'm thinking its the PCM that is glitchy causing my Not returning to first after driving. It's been to trans shop and had the solenoids and governor and harness done but still wants to not return to 1st every time. getting old fast cause I want to build/ lift this ZJ, Its something to do with voltage or ground going to the trans through the harness but I can't find what is supposed to send that signal to the trans so far....HELP Please!!:cheers:

Update: I have found that all trans shift and functions go through a stand alone TCM ( trans control module) that is serviceable if you can find one. Turns out mine had a missing fuse on pass side of dash that feed the power to module to make the O/D switch light work off and on....but as soon as starting the vehicle the switch is non functional and trans is back in limp mode. Conclusion is that the TCM is cooked :flame: so no I am running the gambit on trying to hunt one down.

I found one at the local Pull a Part J/Y out of a 95 ZJ 2wd that had the 4.0 42re fed emissions i was looking for. I got it out and couldn't see any number left on the module to confirm it was compatible so I bought it anyway just under $40.00 on Saturday and installed it yesterday. No more trans issues period. could not believe my luck of getting back 100% of my trans shifts and drivability.

Back