• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reman Brake Caliper question

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
i picked up a pair of remanufactured brake calipers for my jeep today and these spring things were in the box. Anyone know what there for?
spring13ui.jpg

spring26hx.jpg

They hold the brake pads in place while the caliper goes on and off - at least, that's how all mine work.

You'll see them when you get in there, but the spring clips are there to retain the pads and keep them from moving while you slip the caliper on and off - or you'd need four hands that all answer to the same brain. There should be one at the top of the pads, and one at the bottom - on both sides (that's why you get four.)

It will make more sense when you actually see it - I'm guessing you haven't seen them in place yet...

5-90

ive taken mine apart a few times and have never seen them.

They also help keep the pads from rattling, the name for them, as far I as know, is "anti rattle spring". If you don´t have them on there, when the pads are mostly worn, you´ll notice the noise when you hit a bump.

Curious - someone before you must have forgotten them.

I've found that they really do make it easier to get the caliper on - saves you fighting with the pads and caliper at the same time.

I checked my FSM, and they're called "Anti-Rattle Clips" - which tells me they make sure the brake pads stay put and quiet while you're not using the brakes. As you look at the bracket, with the caliper off, the two fingers go in the middle, and the straight closed part goes inside (toward the rotor.) You put the clip on, then rock it down on one end to put the first pad on. Press the other end down to put the other pad on, and spring tension holds them in place. One at the top and one at the bottom (I'd post pics, but I still have neither digital camera or scanner...)

I do suggest you put the new ones on - but I'm cranky, and brakes are not something I care to improvise on...

5-90

thanks for the help guys, the clips will go on with the new calipers when i install them tommorow. and as they say you learn somthin new every day.

Yeah - I figure the day I stop learning is the day I finally stay dead. Hasn't worked so far, so I keep adding to the pile I keep in my hat (and on the bookshelf - the danger of bibliophilia... My wife, unfortunately, is the same way. We'd need TWO RV's - one for us, one for the books!)

5-90

Do like I did, think real hard about how they go on there and turn em 180 degrees (dyslexic). The ends of spring kind of hook over the edge, they don´t stay in the position shown.

Back