• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do I have a three speed or four

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to figure this out for about a month now and can't tell when it is shifting. When I am city driving and easy on the gas it feels like it shifts four gears. When I get on the gas hard getting on to the highway it feels like it only shifts three gears. I have an 85 xj wagoneer with a carb 2.5 four cylinder that I just replaced the tranny and tranfer case. I am thinking that my tranfer case is a new process 219 and my tranny is a 904. They both have had a fresh rebuild from previous owner with shift kit in tranny. Any info would be helpful. Thanks alot

85xjwoody said:
anybody know anything about a select trac new process 213 or 219 tranfer case?

and your question would be....what ?

you have neither.... You have either a selec-trac 229 or a 207 which is NOT a selec-trac.

Tag should be on the thing. Rag and possibly degreaser needed to decode.

Is my tranny worth the rebuild that the previous owner did or will it not last long with beating my truck pretty hard. It goes mainly in alot of mud and dirt trails. some rocks.

my tranfer case does say 219. my old tranfer case was a 213. which were both select trac. the only difference between the two is that the 213 had a sensor on it for fluid levels.

then it got swapped out somewhere along the line. It's only as durable as you make it. You beat on it and don't take care of it it will BREAK.

Do alot of maintenance to it and it should last you if the rebuild was good.

thanks for all the info. much appreciated. I do alot of hard off roading and need to know as much as I can about the underside of my jeep.

The 904 is a pretty good tranny...2+ years of HARD mud bogging, 6K+ rpm shifts in Low range hasn't killed it.....BUT....the tranny vent is in the pump housing behind the torque converter...if you submerge it...you WILL kill it from water contamination....I am currently building a new 904...but am modifying the case and pump housing for a remote vent.

85xjwoody said:
anybody know anything about a select trac new process 213 or 219 tranfer case?
85 Selec-Trac would have been a 228 or 229 and does not have a part-time 4WD high range position. 4WD high range would be full-time (AWD) only ... not locked.

I am 95% sure that my tranfer case says 219 on it. I am at work and cannot look right now. I will look later and let you know for sure. And you were correct on the full time four wheel drive. no part time.

I just went home and looked and eagle you were right. My old tranfer case was the 228 and my new one is the 229. The only difference between the two that I could see is a fluid level sensor. are these cases any good?

It depends on what you compare it to. If your not having any problems with it I would continue to run it. The newer version from 87 on up(231,242) as opposed to what you have are generally better all around. They were updated according to problems expereinced in the earlier ones. Parts are available, but are going to be harder to find in stick and probably more expensive. Aftermarket support will be basically nil. Just keep oil in it and they usually last forever.

Back