• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon August 09

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
There is one very important trip to me that I still have not made and I plan on doing it later this summer.

Some of you have shown interest in the past and I have started a thread down in the Sierra Chapter. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=980118

Although this is still tentative, I am trying to start to firm a few parts of the basic schedule so I can start to plan my travel schedule, where I will be staying, how to coordinate with the rest of the family, etc.

Please let me know if you are SERIOUSLY interested in going and coordinating with me.

Michael

Me and Alex talked about it some.

As far as right now goes, Ill be in to go.

Of course, the following months will determine that.

Maybe we can get Opie to go down with us and show us around if none of the Serria guys can make it.

Thanks Matt, actually it is the Jeep Jamboree, but your dates are correct.

According to their website the Jeepers Jamboree is July 23-26:
http://www.jeepersjamboree.com/

Jeep Jamboree is August (13-16th) and (27-30th):
https://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JJU&Category_Code=E

I will likely shift 1 week up or back to give a little more space. My intent at the moment is to run Fordyce on the weekend and Rubicon during the week.

Any idea when you PNW guys are considering going?
Michael

I am VERY interested IF I don't get laid-off

Interested.

I am very interested. As Alex said earlier in this post, I would say I'm 80% sure. I've been trying to go to this for the past two years, I want to go now more than ever because I got a jeep to drive! Haha

Keil

id be down if i have enough money left over from NWFest, and if someone has a trailer big enough.

Hmm... I'd love to make this. I've ran it once before, Summer of '01 in the other Jeep. It's a very scenic trail with some long breaks between wheeling action, so to speak. The scenery makes it okay to not be going balls-to-the-wall on obstacles all of the time. It's very hot in the Summer, so overheating and staying cool yourself are concerns. It's also dusty as Hell through parts of it, but most of us have working doors/windows (I didn't on the CJ, the dust was a killer)

Check the status of the lakes as you get closer to figuring out dates, last I'd heard camping around Spider Lake was closed. Don't know if that's still in effect. Buck Island lake was bigger and much more natural (shoreline, trees and all) and I haven't heard of any issues with it's closure. I remember there were maybe a dozen outhouses along the trail in odd spots that were in various stages of disrepair. I was afraid the floor of the random one i dropped a deuce in was gonna give way, that'd be bad.

Put me down as a maybe, to be firmed up as we get closer. The trail itself is very do-able in a mildly built rig, there are bypasses at the major obstacles. We ran it from the Tahoe side and then drove back around, stayed at Sugar Pine Point State Park. The rangers were asshats, constantly on us for parking, noise, whatever.

So how many of you are willing to start committing to dates?
Here are my current thoughts:
1. August 22nd-23rd Fordyce, August 24th-26th Rubicon, August 27th-28th, Barrett Lake.
2. August 31st-2nd Rubicon, Sept 3rd-4th Barrett Lake, Sept 5th-6th Fordyce.

I am leaning more towards #2. Does it make any difference to anyone else?
Keep in mind that Sept 7th is Labor day. and it might make the trails busier that weekend? It also gives some of you less vacation time to take?

Also, the Jeep Jamboree dates for August 13-16 and 27-30 the trail is not closed, they will just be on the trails.

Michael

I like the 2nd option. I am still a maybe.

is there a rough estimate on how many miles it is to the Rubicon from Seattle?

EDIT: Yahoo maps says 831 miles from Seattle to Lake Tahoe, at around 13 hours of drive time. But I seem to remember about 10 hours drive time to Sacramento, 5 or 6 hours drive time from there to Tahoe.

Last edited:
754 miles Seattle to Sacramento, 390 miles Sac to Tahoe. With a wicked 7K plus pass between the two.

Back