• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 trany

bluedevils278

NAXJA Forum User
Okay you guys. Here is my problem. I own a 97 cherokee and the tranny is breaking my balls. When it is put in D it goes from 1st to od. So, I shift it manually, but when I put it in 1-2 it shifts to 2nd around 1800rpm which sucks :flamemad:. When I shift through the gears it will downshift on its own when I stop, but it will not downshift into passing gear. There are cut wires near the back of the engine block possibly going to the tranny. Furthermore, I think the guy I bought it from said it had a 98' tranny in it. I'm assuming the tranny was with a 4.0 but I am not sure. Anyone else have this problem, if so I would appreciate any help.

If he put a 98 tranny in a 97 using the 97 TCU, that would be a problem. The rear output sensor on the AW4 changed in 98 to give 4-pulses per rev instead of 1-pulse per rev. If that's the case, you'll find the tranny computer upshifting very quickly and you'll be in 4th gear by the time you hit 20mph.

The two wiring harness connectors going down to the tranny changed as well, so if he did install a 98 tranny he'd have to cut and splice the connectors. The fix would be to install a 98 tranny computer with its wiring harness or swap the rotor/sensor in the tranny (involves pulling the rear housing of the tranny off).

x99j said:
no.:( for 99 the tcm is integrated in the pcm!

No. They just moved it to the drivers side above the gas pedal.

bluedevils278 said:
How hard is it to change them out? Is there any way to make sure I actually do have a '98 tranny before hand?

Have a look at the drivers side of the tranny, about the midway up-down, right up near the bellhousing. If there is a sensor there, then it's a 98+. That's the front input speed sensor that was added at the same time.

This one does NOT have the sensor.http://www.novak-adapt.com/images/pics/transmissions/aw4_transmission.jpg

I'll see if I can find a picture of the sensor.

I'm pretty sure when I looked at it before there was a a green wire that looked like a sensor mid way down the tranny. I would go look at it now but we are getting some much needed rain.

No it will not. The connector changed when the extra sensor was added.

The connector for the NSS also changed style, but the pinout is the same so you can cut/splice if you need to use a different year.

Back