• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rare trany???

Look on the back of the Tcase. It is prob a NP 242. Its the same one I have. I dont know how rare it is but it works great.

Don't get rough with it as it will break easily. A 242 is kinda hard to find around here. I know of two people looking for one. I'd just put in a 231 if I had a bad one.

its got part time awd or somethin like that on it

This would be your transfer case, mounted behind the transmision. In other words, you have a NP242 with full-time 4wd. Meaning, you can drive in high traction conditions without messing anything up. Typically, you'd want to disable your part-time 4wd once off the slippery/dirt/gravel road.

It's less common, but by no means rare in the U.S. It could very well be rare up in your neck of the woods...

i have the 242 in mine, works great in rock, mud, sand, all of it.. I use the part time more than the full time, over 190 thou on it an still working great

mccastlej said:
Don't get rough with it as it will break easily. A 242 is kinda hard to find around here. I know of two people looking for one. I'd just put in a 231 if I had a bad one.

Really I love the 242. I beat it pretty hard and it has never let me down. Did you destroy one or ...... I guess its just a opinion.

One friend had a plow on the front of his XJ, and it wouldn't hold up to the abuse, and the other just wheeled his, and it broke. I couldn't find one at the local yard that I can usually find anything at. The one that broke during wheeling usually can find XJ parts too.

I beat the crap out of my 242. It worked great. vehicle rotted out b-4 the TC ever thought of going.
I have one in the vehicle (90') and two others that were given to me for the same reason. I actually toyed with the idea of taking the 231 out of my 91' and replacing it with a 242, just got used to them and do like them, but the 231 works good so I'll prob. stick with it.
I do have another 91' coming without a TC or rear DS so I may put one in that.
Don't go changing yours just yet, give it a chance...you may just like it. Unless your gonna do some serious off roading then you may be better of with a 231 w/an SYE.

i have a 1991 briarwood, it has both full time and part time 4wd.. it also has the "power mode" that changes the shifting points automatically. which transmission is this? i did some research and i thought it was the AW4, but im not entirely certain. any clue? btw. if this one dies anytime soon, i'll go with a 5spd, but which one is best?

Serveck said:
i have a 1991 briarwood, it has both full time and part time 4wd.. it also has the "power mode" that changes the shifting points automatically. which transmission is this? i did some research and i thought it was the AW4, but im not entirely certain. any clue? btw. if this one dies anytime soon, i'll go with a 5spd, but which one is best?

The transmission is an AW-4. It is the ONLY automatic transmission used after 1986.

They are dicussing the NP-242 transfer case, and using the wrong terminology. You would also have a NP-242, full-time is great for mixed road driving. If that tranny 'dies' its because you did something to it. The AW-4 is damn near bullet-proof.

The 242 rules for slippery road drivng (rain, snow, ice, etc). I pulled my 231 and put in a 242. Best mod I've ever made.

Granted I'm only on 31's and run mostly blues when I wheel, but I know people with much larger tires who wheel much harder than me and have had no probs with the 242. If one failed because it wore out, a 231 would have most likely done the same. If you failed a part, and it had fluid in it, that's another story. The 242 does have a lower torque rating.

Back